Spark plug boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug boots

While I was checking over my coils for a wet (rainy) condition misfire, a couple of pieces fell out of the boot for my #1 plug. There is a brass screw & clip, and a 1/2" long cylindrical piece. I also found a spring in the boot. The other boot on the same coil had the screw inside loose, while cylinders 2 and 3 were tight. Now my tech manual gives resistance values from plug cap to plug cap of 30k to 35k ohms. The coil for 2 and 3 measures ok, but coil #1 & 4 gives an infinite reading when assembled. The cylindrical piece (resistor ?) in wire 4 has a value of about 10k ohms, the coil has 10k to 12k ohms, but the piece from wire 1 has no conductivity. I cleaned the inside as well as I could, replaced the springs, and made a temporary replacement from a piece of steel for testing purposes, but will have to buy a new boot to get the resistor and restore it to specs. I suppose it would be prudent to check these contacts for tightness when checking or replacing the plugs, too.

Has any one run into a similar problem?

That 1/2 inch long cylinder is your resistor. Don't think you can just buy them. I can replace all 4 boots for under $30 bucks. Do it, if you question them at all. It makes a ton of difference.

Comment

NGK boots

Many years ago I replaced the stock Suzuki boots with NGK units I bought at my friendly Yamaha dealer -- two long ones for cylinders 2 and 3, and two short ones for the outside cylinders. The starting-in-the-wet problem I had at that time, on that first GS850 of mine, vanished immediately. Since then I've made it a point to replace these boots with NGK boots every few years.

Nick

Comment

I agree with Nick. NGK boots and change them out every 2 or 3 seasons (these things break down from the heat of the motor). Never even realized that there were stock Suzuki boots, stupid me!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Where do you guys find the NGK boots? Catalogue, indie shop, or NAPA? Also, do you spec them by resistance value, application, or are they kinda universal? I'm gonna have to replace my #2 coil also due to cracked wires, but I gooped them with silicone for now. Just waiting for a rainy day to test things out.

Thanks again.

Comment

NGK boots

Read my post just two above your last one. These boots are a common dealer item. They're generic. Just get two long ones and two shorter ones, just like I did and described already.

If your dealer doesn't have them, have him order them from a wholesaler he may deal with.

Nick

Comment

NGK boots

I highly recommend replacing those spark plug caps. I was having problems with my 1982 GS1100GK when it was hot, in that it seemed to be running off less than 4 cylinders.
              I was going to replace my coils and wires when I went into the local independent shop, but Paul, the owner of Flaming Pig of Rochester (www.fpcycle.com) told me that these coils and wires rarely go bad and that I should replace the caps. After he talked himself out of the > $100 sale I ordered the 4 caps ($15 in total).
              After I replaced the caps, the bike has been running better than it ever has for me (in the two seasons that I've had it).
              You can order these from any shop I would suspect.

Comment

Nick, I went to the local Kawa dealer and was given some sh** about having to have an exact model, he had no clue what I was talking about as for short and long. Do you by chance have the part numbers for them So I can set the dude straight? (hea really got stupid on me when i told him that i wanted them for a Suzi!!)

Comment

Sorry, meant Yama, not Kawa....

Comment

No, I don't, Tim

Tim, it's been 2 or 3 years since I got these NGK boots. Let me go to my Yamaha dealer this week and find out more specifics about these.

When I got them, I just went to my friendly Yamaha dealer and he knew exactly what I needed. They slide at the end of the spark plug wire. Just pull out the old, slide in the new.

I'll see what I can do on Monday.

Nick

Comment

Spark Plug Cap Numbers

The NGK caps I got for my 1982 GS1100GK are: XB05F and VB05F. One of those numbers is for the longer cap and one for the shorter cap, but I don't recall which... I just have the empty boxes and it isn't apparent.. but of course you will need two of each.

--Mike Trent

Comment

Thanks, Mike

Thanks, Mike, (canroc), for the specific tip.

Nick

Comment

Boots

Now I know why my bike runs like cr*p in the rain. Thanks Folks.

Comment

Re: Boots

Originally posted by Jay B
                            Now I know why my bike runs like cr*p in the rain. Thanks Folks.
                            JB
                            MY BIKE RUNS POORLY IN THE RAIN BUT NOT BECAUSE OF THE PLUG CAPS--I NO LONGER USE THEM-I REPLACED THE 4 WIRES WITH A BELDEN WIRE SET AND THE REASON THAT MY BIKE RUNS POORLY IN THE RAIN IS THAT MY DYNA COILS DO NOT HAVE THE HOT WIRES PROTECTED FROM THE WEATHER. WHEN THEY GET WET THE WATER CAUSE A SHORT TO GROUND--I AM CORRECTING THAT ONE THIS WEEK ALONG WITH SOME OTHER THINGS THAT SHOWED UP DURING MY TRIP

Comment

OK thanx for the info, Now I can arm myself with that and not get that dumb look from the dealer again!

Comment

Working...
                              X