fork axle mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork axle mount

My `79 Gs1000E has a broken axle mount stud on the bottom of the fork. Can this be replaced? Or do I have to buy a new fork lower tube?

It can be replaced, but you are going to want to drop that fork out to be able to work on it.

Comment

I sheared one of mine when my 1983 GS750ES was almost new. It was a bit of a swine to remove the "nub" of the stud, so I put penetrating oil in a small cup and attached it so that the stud was immersed in the oil overnight. I was then able to turn the stud out of the bottom of the forks and replace it.........I think that I used vise grips but if enough thread is left you may be able to use 2 nuts locked together. Fortunately, I didn't have to remove the forks from the bike.

Good luck.

Comment

where do I get the replacement stud from?

Comment

Simon says:

USE VICE GRIPS!

If you have enough metal to grab, do it.

Just did that on mine...previous owner had stripped most of the bottom threads. Mine was not as difficult as yours as mine was full length, just had almost no thread left.

My difficulty was replacing it....it was a weekend and I couldn't find a new one, so I took a #5 hardened 3/8" engine stud from local Crappy Tire store, filed it down to right diameter in the drill press and threaded it to fit.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Is the stud a replacement part available from Suzuki? Or should I remove the other stud and get 2 new ones from a hardware store?

Comment

Originally posted by DJones
              Is the stud a replacement part available from Suzuki? Or should I remove the other stud and get 2 new ones from a hardware store?
              From Ron Ayers website:

01421-08308 is superceded to 09108-08142.

Part Number: 09108-08142
              Description: STUD BOLT L:30
              Price: $1.18

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

If you do elect to go to the hardware store, remember that metallurgy may be very important here, requiring a certain type of metal to keep from cracking or breaking.

Hap

Comment

Thanks hap for the info.

Comment

If you have a stud broken off, then both have probably been subjected to extreme stress. For just over a buck you can buy a new one. Do yourself a favour and buy two.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When you re-install it, put some blue Loc-tite on the threads.
                    The 2 reasons these studs break is uneven tightening and too much torque. The axle holder needs to be tightened up evenly. The clearance between the bottom of the fork leg and the top of the axle holder should be the same on each side of the axle. (in front of the axle and behind it) Proper torque is 11-18 lb/ft. Front axle nut: 26-37 lb/ft.
                    I also recommend the following: In order to make sure that the 2 fork legs,right and left, are parallel, loosen the axle nut to about 5 lb/ft., loosen the 2 axle holders temporarily and loosen the 4 front fender mounting bolts. Now move the forks up and down several times to make the 2 legs parallel. Tighten the axle holders first and then the fender bolts and then the axle nut. The speedometer drive may try to rotate. Make sure the arrow on the drive unit is pointing in the same direction as the fork leg before tightening everything up.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the Info. I ordered 2 new stud bolts.

Comment

Working...
                      X