master link clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

master link clip

I removed the chain for cleaning and in putting it back on, the old retainer clip split. Any suggestions on whether local hardware or auto parts stores would carry this? No luck so far, and online suppliers only show 530 hardware, not 630 chain stuff.....where can I get this stupid 99 cent item?

I needed one once and was advised by Z1 to only use the brand of clip that the chain was .. not sure if it mattered but I did as they suggested.

Now .. whenever I buy a chain .. I get a couple of spare master links just to have in case.

Comment

In a pinch you could use some steel picture hanging wire and RTV. The wire needs to be thin enough sit in the grooves of the master link pins. I do a figure eight around the pins and RTV. (Not on my ED though )
      I should have said "In a BING....."
      Last edited by posplayr; 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

BING

Just get a non-clip style link. Peen the ends with a centerpunch.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X