Fuel nipple question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel nipple question.....

I have read through some of the older posts and really couldn't/didn't find the answer to my question...the fuel tee on my carbs evidently has been damaged or for some reason someone has coated the entire nipple/tee with some type of epoxy it appears. I have looked at bike bandit and he carries this tee but the nearest bike he has listed to mine is a 450LX....mine is a 450L...will this tee work for my bike? It's kind of pricey and I don't want to get it if there is a chance it won't fit my application....secondly...does anyone know what size this tee actually is? I was thinking that I might be able to locate one at say NAPA or something like that and it may be a little cheaper.....anyway....if you guys could give me some advice I would appreciate it......

Thanx so much...Anita

Yep...twill wurk

Comment

The "X" at the end of the model designation merely indicates that it's a 1981. Your bike is actually a GS450LX. You can verify that by looking at the VIN that is stamped on the steering neck.

I really doubt you will find the tee that you need at an auto parts store. Partly because it won't be the right diameter, but also because it won't be the right length to fit between the carbs.

Sorry to say, but when you are dealing with highly flammable stuff that is between your legs, it's best to not improvise.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can I get a pic of it. Most of the fuel Ts I've seen are coated.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Give me a few minutes to take the pics and then I'll have to try to figure out how to post them.....

Comment

Here is a picture of the nipple/tee that I was asking about....hope it is clear enough to see what I was talking about.....

Thanx....Anita

Comment

Did it look like that before you dipped them in the carb dip?
              I may have one but the different carbs have different length fuel rails.
              It may be alright. The portion in the carbs is the part that seals and is important.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's a little out of focus, but great job posting it.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but I was trying to get as close as I could....here is another picture taken a little further away and a different angle....in answer to Chef1366 question, yes this is how the nipple/tee looked prior to me dipping the carb.....what I did find after I dipped the carbs was that this nipple would move, but now it seems to be firm in it's current position......but it had that epoxy looking stuff on it when it came off the bike.....

Thanx again for all the help.....Anita

Comment

Just kiddin' ya a bit on the "out of focus" thing. Both pics look great.

If that were my set of carbs, I might try pulling them apart and cleaning up that tee on a wire wheel. Yeah, it would destroy the rubberized coating and whatever the bumps are that do the sealing. If they are actual o-rings, you should be able to get some o-rings that will work. If the new rings are just a tad loose, wrap several layers of Teflon tape over the o-rings to add a little thickness.

If the bumps are machined metal under the rubberized coating, again, several layers of Teflon tape might just do the trick.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X