Auto cancelling turnsignals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto cancelling turnsignals

I have a 1982 GS1100E that the turn signals work but the self cancelling part only works on the right signal not on the left. Any idea why?

You've got a contact gone bad in the switch block. It probably needs a clean up with some fine emery paper.

Tthe cancelling unit under the tank doesn't know left from right, so it's working OK.

The wires that operate the turn cancellor are the same for both left and right, so it can't be the wires. But there are two sets of contacts that the same wires go to, so whichever way you push the switch they still operate the same.

Check inside the switch block. The wires are Orange/Red and LightGreen/Black. The O/R is the power feed from fuse 1 - don't let it contact the frame.

Kim

Comment

Amazing, I am having the same problem with my 1980 GS 850GL. Where exactly are these contacts that need to be cleaned, and what do you mean by the switch block?
      Thanks

Comment

The switch block is the stack of switches on the left handle-bar, blinkers, horn, that lot.

When working on these things take them apart carefully as springs and things can sometimes jump out and get lost. The shells come away from the bar easily, but take care when lifting out the metal retaining strips.

You will see the contacts in there somewhere. I can't tell you more than this as my unit has been replaced sometime in the past with a Yamaha switch (so no self-cancelling blinkers for me any more).

When you put the thing together again be careful that you don't jam a wire between the two halves - it will take a while but one day will short out if squeezed between two bits of metal.

Kim

Comment

Working...
        X