vm or cv carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mean to hijack, But since we're on topic;

I'm about to order from Cycleorings.com and just wanted to ask for some clarification.

I own a 81 GS550LX with CV Carbs. I understand that I would require the BS Oring kit but as for the Intake Orings and the Screw kits which ones are actually correct for that year?

I'm leaning on Large Orings for the Intake and the 20mm for the screw kit. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Comment

So I take it there is no sure fire answer as to if MV carbs will fit on an 82 GS850 I have purchased everything to rebuild the carbs but one of the posts for the float bowl is busted on one of them and I believe something else is busted on another one, and I also don't have a vacuum line coming off of the petcock. Thanks if anyone feels like answering. Sorry to jack the thread!

Comment

Best you start a new thread.

with that said, you can repair the float post, or I have a set of '80 gs850 "parts" carbs that might work, depending on which carb you are needing. (the choke linkage is different between '82 and '80)

no vacuum petcock? that's easy. cap off the vacuum port on the #2 carb and use your manual (on/off) petcock.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 01-21-2010, 09:11 AM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by neeko View Post
          I own a 81 GS550LX with CV Carbs. I understand that I would require the BS Oring kit but as for the Intake Orings and the Screw kits which ones are actually correct for that year?

I'm leaning on Large Orings for the Intake and the 20mm for the screw kit. Can anyone confirm this?
          Look about half-way down on this page and confirm it for yourself. There is a nice list of what bikes require what sizes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Best you start a new thread.

with that said, you can repair the float post, or I have a set of '80 gs850 "parts" carbs that might work, depending on which carb you are needing. (the choke linkage is different between '82 and '80)

no vacuum petcock? that's easy. cap off the vacuum port on the #2 carb and use your manual (on/off) petcock.
            Okay thanks but I do have cv style carbs, so I thought they needed the vacuum to function correctly. The post was repaired previously so I am kind of leary about replacing it again. If you are interested in selling your parts carbs just let me know what you want for them. Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by justintime_3 View Post
              Okay thanks but I do have cv style carbs, so I thought they needed the vacuum to function correctly.
              There are actually TWO vacuum areas that are of significance here. The one that Rustybronco mentioned is the vacuum signal that is fed from one of the carbs (#3 on the VMs, #2 on the BSs) to the petcock to turn on the gas. That happens regardless of what type of carb, what type of air filter, whatever.

The other vacuum is the one you are wondering about here. There is a bit of vacuum required to lift the slides on the BS carbs. That vacuum is a result of having just a little bit of restriction in the air intake. Some of that is created by the size of the opening to the airbox, some is provided by the air filter material. That is why, if you change to pod filters, you have to make sure they are oiled properly to have a little bit of restriction, and also drill a larger hole in the slide so the diaphragms get a better chance of seeing that little bit of vacuum that is left.

If you still have the stock airbox, you can plug the vacuum port that feeds the vacuum to the petcock and use your manual petcock. If you don't plug that vacuum port, you will have a MASSIVE air leak for that cylinder and it will not run right.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by justintime_3 View Post
                If you are interested in selling your parts carbs just let me know what you want for them. Thanks man
                Not interested in selling "them". but, if you let me know which one you need, I will check and make sure it is the same body your '82 uses, then ship that carb body to you in exchange for your broken one. (they were given to me by Chuck Hahn @ no cost)
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Look about half-way down on this page and confirm it for yourself. There is a nice list of what bikes require what sizes.

hehe, Thats what I'm trying to figure out too!

It seems that for the intake orings and the years and models the 80 - 82 gs550 bracket is left blank and for the screws it makes no mention as well which really puts me in a very insecure iffy state

Thanks for the input

Comment

hehe, Thats what I'm trying to figure out too!

It seems that for the intake orings and the years and models the 80 - 82 gs550 bracket is left blank and for the screws it makes no mention as well which really puts me in a very insecure iffy state

Thanks for the input
                    As I understood it, the page author most likely meant that they were the same as the item above it = 81-83 650's:

81-83 650's use 38mm O-rings and 16mm screws.
                    80-82 550's "

The safe bet would be to measure your existing screws and boot o-rings...?

Comment

Originally posted by jwegman View Post
                      As I understood it, the page author most likely meant that they were the same as the item above it = 81-83 650's:
                      80-82 550's "
                      That's the way I take it, too.
                      Quote marks in a list mean "same as above".

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Okay so I am a little confused. I have an 82 gs 850 with a broken carb. I am wanting to know if it will run right with the stock carbs minus a vacuum hose coming off of the fuel petcock. I will not be using the stock air box I will be using pod style filters and the exhaust is a straight pipe. So will this work or would it be possible to use the older style carbs that do not need vacuum.

Comment

It's the carbs that MAKE the vacuum, they don't USE it.

If I remember correctly, you are using a tank from another bike that has a manual petcock. Right? No problem. There is a vacuum port on the top of the outlet of carb #2 that used to go to the petcock. Cap that port with a rubber cap that you can get at an auto parts store. Before you install your pod filters, make sure you re-jet your carbs for the pod filters and the straight pipe. Depending on the brand of the filters and how straight the pipe is (it's actually based on restriction/backpressure, not the number of curves), you might need to go up 6 or 7 sizes on the main jet, maybe one size on the pilot fuel jet, raise the needle and adjust the mixture screws properly. Might help to drill out the vent hole in the bottom of the slides, as suggested by Dynojet with their kits. If you don't want to do a lot of guessing, just get a Dynojet Stage 3 kit for your bike. It has the added benefit of needles with a different taper, which will work better than simply raising the stock needles.

In other words, yes, you can use your current carbs, but you will have to do other things, too.

If you wanted to use the older style carbs, you would have to make some adapters, as they are smaller than your current carbs.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Okay sweet Thanks a ton. I thought the carbs needed the vacuum line from the petcock to run. But I see now. I did purchase a jet kit of about 6 up Thanks for the help man I appreciate it. Just a GEE WIZZ question for you though. I do work at a machine shop so I could make the adapters, so I was just wondering if they would be easier to tune or if it's just gonna be more of a hassle than it's worth?

Comment

Just read the first page of posts, but thought I'd put in my 3 cents on the differences between VM's and CV's.

I've ridden both and I have to say that I like VM's better. My Yamaha's all have CV's, and the lag from throttle to GO is pretty bad on some. You don't notice it if you don't ride a VM bike. My GS1000 has VM's. Response is instantaneous. No lag at all. Not even from low speed to full throttle. It's not an engine size difference thing, because I've ridden my dad's FJ1200 with CV's. Same lag as all the other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jwegman View Post

80-82 550's "

The safe bet would be to measure your existing screws and boot o-rings...?
                                I will confirm this info is correct. As an owner of both 550 and 650, the carbs are the same size and the intake manifolds are the same likewise. Order those with confidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X