Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding

Hey all,

I am in the process of tearing down and restoring my first bike an 81 GS1000G and am wondering if there is a complete kit ie. bearings, seals, gaskets etc for the motor/trans. I am hoping to get it all in one shot, instead of hunting around and forgeting things that I will need, LOL. Thanx in advance for any assistance you may be.

Let me know when you find that kit .... You'll be missing all the fun:

Hunting, searching ebay & every other corner of the web,

Asking GSR members "what's in your garage & can you spare it?".. ..

Scratching your head thinking "part's interchangability?? Yea, right!!"

Comment

Ok, on that note then, does anyone by chance have a part # list that they would be willing to share?

I am up in Canada and alot of the EBay parts are out of reach for me, cost me more in shipping and border fees that most of the parts are worth.

Again Thanx for any help you can be.

Comment

Plenty of good sources for online micro-fiche. I use Babbits

There are others, but it's a matter of preference. You are reading the best source for parts right here at GSR. Members here go far & above what you'd expect in both Technical advice and helping one another to keep these old babies on the road. Besides, you aren't going to find everything new anymore anyway.

A good rule to use here is: If you need it, ASK... probably one of us have it, and often we've got 2 or 3.. Heck, I've got enough parts for three 1000 motors & I've never even built or owned one....LOL (Times are gonna change though.. hehe)

For new parts, shop wise. We have plenty of Canadian members, so they might be helpful in reccomending who they use for new parts. You might check out Z1 if your in eastern Canada... They are outside of Rochester, NY, so freight may not be as bad.
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

You can buy complete gasket kits that include o-rings and valve stem seals.
          Bearings and seals are sold seperately at your favorite Zook site or stealership.
          I just went through this and now am ready to build. Just waiting on the machine shop and head to get done.
          Went to APE today and picked up a HD cam chain guide, cam chain and cylinder studs.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well, I should ask why you're rebuilding, but it sounds like you're started already

I'd check with Trippivot and see if he has GS 1000 8 valve stuff left - he had a ton of barrels, heads and stuff he was getting rid of
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Cheaper to find a good used engine but not as much fun.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Haven't started rebuilding, but will be shortly, and reason for rebuilding is because the bike sat for many years, and had high kms when I got it, all seals are seeping and compression is very low. And is burning as much oil as gas,

Would be nice to find a good used motor, but a tough find around here, especially one that they actually know the history of the motor, and don't want to end up buying someone elses problem.

And as I have stated before, costs me more in shipping in border fees to get anything from the boys down south. Resources for parts around here are very very slim and I have found lots of parts that can't be bought off the shelf locally, so though the rebuild would be eaiser, and that way I know exactly what I am getting into,

Comment

You can definitely find an engine or parts bike with good engine cheap if you keep your eyes open for a while - but rebuilding is so much more fun. Start tearing that puppy open and take stock. Are you going to split the cases for inspection? Or just let the lower half be?

Comment

Working...
                  X