What can this be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can this be?

I know that a picture would be the best way to show the thing that I am asking about, but my camera is at work....so I'm gonna try to describe this thing as best I can....and maybe someone will know what it is.....it appears to be a fitting of some sort that comes out of the head of the engine and it sits just under the carbs....it appears to have some sort of hex head on it and it is a 90 degree piece.....is it possible that this is some sort of crankcase ventilation or something of that nature and if so is it something that I need to try to remove and clean while the carbs are still off the bike? If no one can figure out what it is that I am asking about, I'll try to get a picture and post it maybe tomorrow....

Hope someone out there knows what I am talking about and can shed some light on it for me......

Thanx...Anita

Probably the cam chain tensioner. Does it have a large hex with a spring on it and 2 bolt mounting?

Comment

Does it have a spring coiled all the way up it? If so it is the cam chain tensioner. NO DO NOT REMOVE IT!!!. There will be others along shortly to explain how you service it, how to tell mif you need to service it etc etc..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yep....it has the spring and a large hex head....and you can betcha prize winning rooster...... I ain't touching it .......does my bike (450LX) have any type of crankcase breather that I do need to service?

Thanx so much....Anita

Comment

Its on top of the valve cover. Order a new gasket for it first. The old ones usually rip, take off the little cover and clean out the space and metal mesh. Theres not much too it.

Comment

look on the tiop of the crankcase ( cam) cover.. is there a fitting on there with a nipple sticking out facing the back of the engine? I am not too familiar with your bike, but thats where mine is at on the 750. A plasitc tube connects between that nipple on the top of the engine and the top of the stock airbox.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey brother..where are you located? There are many parts fiches on line for these bikes. Bikebandit.com has all the schematics.

Comment

The crankcase breather is atop the valve cover. Under normal circumstances it does not need to be serviced. I had a gasket and was going to clean it but couldn't even get it off. So I left it alone.

If your cam chain tensioner is leaking oil you might consider rebuilding it. Here's Mr. Bwringer's page on doing so:

That won't look exactly the same as yours, but should look similar. The replacement seals and o-rings (NOT the gasket - order one off of the cam chain fiche for your model) will be the same part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Hey brother..where are you located? ...
                  Brother???

You talking about Krooozn?

You haven't noticed the signature with every post?

Let me give you a hint, ... not too many 'brothers' named "Anita".

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Let me give you a hint, ... not too many 'brothers' named "Anita".
                    And the ones that are, are even tougher than the ones called 'Susan'

Comment

Nope ..never read that far down...where you at SISTER??? LMAO

Comment

Working...
                      X