using rtv for cam cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using rtv for cam cover

so...i took off everything i need to gain access to the valve cover, including the rpm pinion gear. i cleaned off all the old and hard valve cover gasket materials, it was a b*tch to clean!!! i was cleaning it with a scraper, razor blades, screw driver and a wire wheel. i placed the cam cover at my jobs parts cleaner.
    when everything was cleaned, i applied a thin film of engine rtv on the mating surface, installed the cam cover and tightened bolts. no problem yet up to this point, not until i tried to install the pinion gear for the tachometer. i think since i didnt install a gasket, the clearance between the cover and cam decreased making the gear impossible to install. also, the chain was slapping against the cam cover so i had to tighten the tensioner too. .. so fixed my leak, but lost my tachometer..

Please get a proper gasket and install it. Your bike will thank you profusely.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And take the RTV and deposit that useless crap into the nearest trash can. It has no business anywhere near Fine Machinery.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Welcome !!

Why not just get the proper gasket. You can re-use it a few times if it's lightly coated with some grease. They aren't that expensive for your bike and everything will work right.

Plus, you're not running the risk of a little chunk of dried up RTV getting into the engine.........
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Bad
          Bad
          Bad

Comment

I agree to use the proper gasket however liquid gasket products are not evil if applied properly. For one thing there are different types of RTV/liquid gasket products. The common auto parts store type which supplements gaskets is different from the type that REPLACES gaskets. If you use the proper gasket replacement type material, clean the surfaces properly, and apply a proper sized bead then there is no problem. If you use the gasket supplement type, use too much so it oozes out all over the place, you are in trouble because it can chunk off and plug up oil passages. Check this link to see some gasket replacement type sealers... http://www.threebond.com/LGasket.html

FYI, a lot of OE automotive engines are built these days using liquid sealant instead of gaskets. If these guys go it I don't see why GS people say it's all taboo. That said, the gasket thickness needs to be accounted for in many of the GS applications so that needs to be considered too. It's simplest to just use the proper gasket and be done with it but in a pinch, gasket replacement silicone works fine, although you are in for fun (not) when you go to take it off later.
            Last edited by Nessism; 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I agree to use the proper gasket however RTV is not some evil product if applied properly. ...
              All very true, but since his tach drive is in the valve cover, it becomes even more important that his gasket is the proper thickness. He already mentioned that using just a thin film of RTV caused interference problems. I also think that a Real Gasket (brand name, for those that don't know) would not be appropriate in this case. It would be thicker than stock, possibly leading to not enough engagement of the tach drive. A treated-paper gasket of stock thickness is what this bike is calling for. Spray some WD-40 on it before installing it and it will be easier to remove next time.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yeah... i just wanted a quick fix so i can ride it around, and not have oil on my pants
                ill go order the gasket for it.. in the mean time, ill just shift when it stops pulling. good job on this forum guys!! keep up good work.. i work on cars everyday, im mechanically inclined, but this is my first gs and first bike.. almost everything i know about this bike i learned from this forum. tnx again

Comment

It's not the answer to your question but if you buy a proper gasket (the genuine Suzuki one is the only one i found to be any good) and apply a thin smear of proper RTV silicone to both sides - and by thin i mean as thin as you can possibly get it, it will prevent the gasket welding itself onto the surfaces and make you smile next time you have the cover off and don't have to buy a new gasket.

The silicone wont dry up, nor will it be hard to remove, it's stays rubbery and simply pulls of in strands, a cloth is the most you'lll ever need.

Comment

Working...
                  X