Confirm my thinking please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirm my thinking please.

So I have a dead miss on #1. I checked the coil and was getting juice, checked #3 and it has spark but #1 has nothing. Since they are both run by the same coil (right?) it would have to be in my plug wire? The wire looks fine externally but maybe it's bad. Going to swap a plug just to make sure it's not a plug bad somehow. This is driving me nuts.
    -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
    DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
    -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

No, one coil does 2/3 and the other 1/4

You might just need a new spark plug cap
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Bad plug. I swapped plugs between 1 & 4 and the problem reversed. Off to pick up a new plug. No visible cracks or anything though. Weird.
      -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
        Bad plug. I swapped plugs between 1 & 4 and the problem reversed. Off to pick up a new plug. No visible cracks or anything though. Weird.
        don't forget to check the plug caps it could be your problem and is also a cheap fix

Comment

Bad plug. I swapped plugs between 1 & 4 and the problem reversed. Off to pick up a new plug.
          How new are the plugs?

If they are not BRAND new, for all the effort of going to get A plug, I would spend another $6 and get the other three, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If they are not BRAND new, for all the effort of going to get A plug, I would spend another $6 and get the other three, too. .
            +1 on that...

Good idea to twist off each plug cap & trim the wire back a bit as well (approx. 1/4") to make sure you are connected into fresh wire.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'm with Steve on tis one. If it were me I would get all new plugs. If one is going bad the others may not be too fer behind there brother. Better safe than sorry. Yes it is a GS and yes we know it could run on junk forever but...

Comment

They were pretty new plugs so I just got the one cause I'm a cheap **s. Also I need to check my wires anyway. Had the coil off at 1:30 last night while I was checking things and I could have sworn it was 1 and 3. On the other hand it was 1:30 and I was drinking. They are labeled so if it somehow is off it's been that way since I got it.
                Last edited by IanC; 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM.
                -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

They were pretty new plugs ...
                  "Pretty new" as in 'started my winter tune-up last week' or ...
                  "Pretty new" as in 'I put them in back in July and only have a thousand miles on them'?

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Had the coil off at 1:30 last night while I was checking things and I could have sworn it was 1 and 3. On the other hand it was 1:30 and I was drinking. ...
                    I can understand the late hour, as I frequently do that, too, but drinking while working on an inherently dangerous machine that you are going to depend on to keep you out of danger just boggles my mind.

By the way, unless the wires from the ignitor have been swapped, the left coil will power cylinders 1 & 4, the right coil will power cylinders 2 & 3. Just to make sure we're on the same page, all references to directions you will find in manuals are made as if you are sitting on the bike. That means that LEFT is clutch hand, RIGHT is throttle hand.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

New as in a couple hundred miles but she's fixed. Running strong again. Took a ride out through the country and we both enjoyed ourselves.
                      -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

With any missing or skipping problems I always install *new*(did I say new?) plugs first. Usually a dirtbike problem.
                        Plugs can look fine and not work properly.
                        Replace all of em and then find out why it fouled.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I can understand the late hour, as I frequently do that, too, but drinking while working on an inherently dangerous machine that you are going to depend on to keep you out of danger just boggles my mind.

PFFT, lol..
                          I work on my stuff stoned all the time.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

New as in a couple hundred miles but she's fixed. Running strong again. Took a ride out through the country and we both enjoyed ourselves.
                            Were you drinking again?
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                              PFFT, lol..
                              I work on my stuff stoned all the time.
                              It hardly matters when you are just cutting things off. (-:
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X