grind marks on valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grind marks on valve cover

while doing my first valve adjustment i found grind marks on the cover where the cam chain has rubbed. two questions... 1 the po had used rtv instead of a gasket could this allow the cover to come down too low and rub? and 2 my cam chain tensioner was seized and has been cleaned and reinstalled could both of these contribute to this ?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM. Reason: to clear up a sentence

Yep.....did you get the proper gasket ? Did you put in new gaskets in the cam chain tensioner ?

You should consult your manual and make sure the cam chain is still within spec too.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes, both issues would cause this problem. As you have stated using RTV allows the cover to come closer to contact the revolving cam chain and a faulty tensioner would allow the cam chain to slap around a bit with extra slack and mark the inside of the cam cover. Fit a new gasket (not the ones that compress up a lot) and everything should be OK.

Comment

but the big question is are the cams still timed correctly with a ceased tensioner how loose did it get and did it skip a tooth or 2 that should be checked before the bike is run

Comment

+1 on Mr. Spyderman's suggestion. Check Mr. BCliff's site for the appropriate valve adjustment tutorial which will also show the cam alignment marks and chain link count.

Taking a chance and firing up could be a recipe for bent valves and or cracked piston tops.

As they say, "To look is to know".

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

thanks guys. Yes, I've ordered an oem gasket for both covers. I haven't done the valve adjustment yet I've got to go get a feeler that is thin enough and i think I'm going to be the newest member of the shim club. prices of shims in my area would turn this project into a little to much considering i'm also doing new chain and sprockets so stay tuned I'm sure you'll see my name again soon. Oh and I will check the cam conditions. Although I don't say much on here I lurk almost everyday, and learn so much just from other members threads so thanks to every one again.

Comment

Working...
            X