Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have an extra clutch lever laying around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have an extra clutch lever laying around?

anyone have an extra clutch lever laying around they want to sell me?

its $6 for a polished on on JCWhitney...but i'm not sure i want to take apart brake lever...is it hard?

i was hoping to just change the bent clutch one with one that looks like the brake one.

thanks guys,

~Adam

Brake and clutch levers are not exactly the same. Brake allows for hydraulic connection, and the clutch has a cable.

I may have a polished one. I will check at home tonight.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thanks Ron.

i'm aware they have different connections...JCWhitney has both the brake and clutch levers...but i wasn't sure how easy it was to change the one for the hydraulic fitting.

any input on that?

~Adam

Comment

Mountain Bike Disc Brakes

Hi there Adam ... I think I can perhaps give a bit if an inside tip ...
        now I haven't actually taken apart a motorbike brake Lever before, but I have Actually had hydraulic disc brakes for my MOUNTAIN BIKE (damn cool ---> but $500 each, front / back). Basicly you have a hydraulic cable, that goes over a fitting on the lever body ... and it uses a compression washer, and a nut that goes over the c.w. that firmly holds the cable in place and prevents leaks.

Hmm.
        I am starting to think that this is actually NOT at ALL what it would be like on a Motorbike... as the Master Cylinder is RIGHT inside the actual lever body ... and not a seperate unit like I (and I'm sure many other) have...

sorry for my babbling...
        ???

:P

Comment

On mine, the hydraulics are totally separate from the lever. All the lever does is push a plunger. IIRC from doing mine, you don't even have to remove the brake light switch, though you might have to adjust afterwards.

Comment

i'm sure ours are the same.

so i could just get the two levers and it should be a pretty easy, 2-bolt, swap.

Comment

Replacing the front brake lever is easy; remove the bolt and pull the lever out. Just make sure that you remove the brake light switch first! Else you might lose some parts or damage the little plastic piece that fits into the lever.
              The lever itself has nothing to do with the hydraulics.

Comment

Adam

I am sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have the clutch lever. I knew I had a shiny lever on a garage shelf, but it is attached to a front brake master cylinder.

After looking at it tonight, I remembered buying it on e-bay as a spare, but never used it.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'm parting out my '82 GS650L, and I do have a brake lever available (minus brake light switch hardware - I'd replaced it with new parts, and had to use them to fix my GS550E!) PM me if you're interested...

Comment

i believe there was a pair on ebay. polished too!

Comment

Zook, i need a clutch lever!

Comment

new ones are $6 from JCWhitney...

Comment

I've got a clutch lever too. Dunno if the style will match your bike (I'll have to compare it to my GS550E), but it's yours if you want it.

Comment

Working...
                          X