Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging System Schematic

Posplayr

Great Schematic. I have a question that maybe you can answer.

I purchased a 1986 GS1150 with a 1983 GS1100E engine.

The starter has always been slow/weak from the day I purchased it (2009) but has always easily started the bike. I went to start the bike a few weeks ago with a new battery in hand. The starter barely turned over, and the bike would not start. Fast forward a couple of weeks.
    I have removed the starter and was about to replace the brush assembly. I decided to do some other maintenance and discovered that one of the Stator connector wires was at minimum loose (wire came loose from the terminal end connector) and possibly not making a connection at all.

Could this have been the cause of the weak starter motor operation all along?

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84#post1150484

Kinda like this? Works mostly but there are a few details on the charging and grounding that need to be sorted.

Here is a Pdf version with much more resolution.

Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It would cause your battery not to charge.
      With a freshly charged battery the starter should work properly with or without the stator connected at all.
      Last edited by chef1366; 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyd View Post
        Posplayr

Great Schematic. I have a question that maybe you can answer.

I purchased a 1986 GS1150 with a 1983 GS1100E engine.

The starter has always been slow/weak from the day I purchased it (2009) but has always easily started the bike. I went to start the bike a few weeks ago with a new battery in hand. The starter barely turned over, and the bike would not start. Fast forward a couple of weeks.
        I have removed the starter and was about to replace the brush assembly. I decided to do some other maintenance and discovered that one of the Stator connector wires was at minimum loose (wire came loose from the terminal end connector) and possibly not making a connection at all.

Could this have been the cause of the weak starter motor operation all along?
        I'm wondering what the Hey this questions has to do with the thread?

Comment

Charging System

Well the schematic does include the charging system.

Comment

Calm down grumpy

We may get the tech section banned from the site also.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well the schematic does include the charging system.
              Well obviously a loose wire to the R/R is a bad thing as it has been suggested may times to either get high quality connectors or preferably do a direct solder job from stator to R/R.

So it is possible this caused a charging issue? That should be self evident.

Comment

Self Evident

Well obviously a loose wire to the R/R is a bad thing as it has been suggested may times to either get high quality connectors or preferably do a direct solder job from stator to R/R.

So it is possible this caused a charging issue? That should be self evident.
                Well I'm an old electronics major and did know that a bad connection to the R/R would have some effect. I figured it would just effect the charging of the battery, but I am always willing to defer to the knowledgedable, helpful, well meaning, experts whom one might think would be willing to helpout.
                I mean you never know one of the old experts might know something everyone else does not know.
                I guess its all in how you read what you read.

Comment

Well I'm an old electronics major and did know that a bad connection to the R/R would have some effect. I figured it would just effect the charging of the battery, but I am always willing to defer to the knowledgedable, helpful, well meaning, experts whom one might think would be willing to helpout.
                  I mean you never know one of the old experts might know something everyone else does not know.
                  I guess its all in how you read what you read.
                  I can certainly imagine, if I had found such a bad connection after having changed the starter and stator that a would have felt the urge to post a similar rhetorical question . In fact I think I have

Hey Frank we got any Rhetorical emoticons??

Comment

Working...
                  X