Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little input on test starting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little input on test starting.....

I am at the point where I want to try to start my bike without actually installing the gas tank just yet...I have to clear coat the tank before it gets installed....anyway...what I thought I would do is just reinstall the carbs, and put some gas in a jar to feed the carbs.....but I need some clear instruction on just what I need to do with all the other lines that come off the carb, all of these were disconnected when I got the bike, so I have no idea as to where they actually need to go.....my carbs have a total of 4 lines that go on them.....so could someone tell me where these lines need to connect to......secondly, can I make the bike run by just putting the feed line into a jar of fuel? I haven't gotten a new air filter for the bike yet, been trying to find a simple sheet of the thin filter foam that I could cut to fit the plastic pieces that I guess the old filter was attached to....anyone know where I can find some of this foam? I read somewhere that was all you really needed to do.....

Ok...now I am rambling...so if any of you can decipher my encryption here and figure out what I am trying to ask....I would appreciate the input......

Thanx.... Anita

When in doubt...give Cliffs site a shout. (sounds stupid but it seems to work....)

Hoses

Your bike will run best with the factory air box and filter.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I believe I am the resident expert at the moment did you read my book about getting my project running?

Anyway, 4 lines are 1) gas tank to carbs (carb3) 2)petcock vacuum to carb (smaller diameter) 3) 2 from carb not connected (overflows located between 1&2 qnd 3&4 'Ts).

To get the bike running without the tank plug off the vacuum barb on the carbs, leave the overflows in place and connect your remote tank to the carb input barb.

What I have is an IV bottle ( made from an old mouth wash bottle)suspended from one of the "speed" clamps which I clamp to the frame just above the carbs so it is gravity fed to the carbs.

Before you attempt to start make sure your valves are adjusted to spec and your battery is good. As it some times takes a bit of cranking to get going, I have taken to adding a deep cycle boat battery in series for some extra oomph.

You might also find it best, if you don't have the airbox or pods on to put some "Saran" wrap over the carb mouths and poke a small hole in the center. I had to do this to mine to get the gas to flow and it worked well.

When starting, the procedure is key on and kill switch to run ( obviously but we sometimes forget in all our excitement )choke on full, no throttle and crank away.

Give it a whirl and let us know when you get some fire in the hole.

Good luck,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I used a Hawaian Punch bottle with a small ball valve and filter....

Comment

Working...
        X