Pods, Airboxes, Dynojets = HEADACHES. Help Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods, Airboxes, Dynojets = HEADACHES. Help Needed Please

Hi everyone. I am new here and I just picked up an 1981 GS650E this weekend for a cool $100. Guy is moving back to Oregon and needed to get rid of it!

My problem starts here:
    The carbs were acting up and the guy and his friends decided to try there hand at rebuilding carbs. They decided to put pod filters on it and throw the stock airbox out. Bike is def. lean because they didn't rejet.

They def. did not do good job with the carbs ethier so I will be pulling them out and soaking and rebuilding them.

I have used search and read post til my eyes nearly bled, and I am looking for so opinions and guidance.

Would I be better off searching Flea-bay for a stock airbox and connections OR buy the DynoJet Stage 3 and away I go?

This is not my first bike and I ride, I ride in the sun, I ride in rain, I ride in dark, I take the occasional 300 mile ride, and I bomb around town. Will I be happy riding my way with Pods? Will the rain F*ck me and the pods up? Anyone with Pods ever used heat shields or Outwear filter covers?

I am just looking for a lil advice from people that know these bikes and maybe learn from other experiences.

I like pods but I also tear my stuff apart often.
    If you want to just ride and forget it look for an airbox. The Dynojet kits are pretty much plug and play but you may need to mess with the jetting a little but without the airbox it isn't any big deal. Once the DJ kit is set it's set. I've never had any problem with K&N filters and rain.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I speak from first hand experience and severe struggle with pods, a major factor is where the pods are from are they actual K&N's or knockoff, I made the knockoff mistake and even with the Dynojet Stage 3 kit I fought jetting and lean issues for months, and it ran like a bag of SH&@ at high rpms, and didn't even want to run in the rain. I have since made a custom airbox and was able to get it right with a day of messing around with jetting and test running.

Just my opinion, others have no problems, but most I have talked to would rather have the stock airbox back. Reliable and consistent with minimal messing around.

Comment

i have an 83 750e. im going the pods, 4-1, and dj3 route. i never got an airbox with the bike either. although i think i will have another bike to use as my daily rider in the spring.

Comment

See this guy put on cheap Emgo looking pods, not k&N.

I like dependability, Maybe best bet would be airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by Mpenner View Post
            See this guy put on cheap Emgo looking pods, not k&N.

I like dependability, Maybe best bet would be airbox?

One is no more dependable than the other (Pods vs airbox). There are guys with stock airbox who can't get their bike to run right either. Usually because they have dirty carbs, leaky airbox, issues with the filter, etc... My bike runs like a Swiss watch with pods on it, never had an issue in the rain. That being said, get real K&N filters, and buy the Dynojet kit instead of trying to figure it out on your own (if you go pods).

Comment

So here is my guess. The people who are having problem with PODs are using the cheapo emgo type? If you use a quailty product like k&n and dynojet you should be good?

Comment

So here is my guess. The people who are having problem with PODs are using the cheapo emgo type? If you use a quailty product like k&n and dynojet you should be good?
                High quality pods, with the jetting correct (which the dynojet kit hits about 95%) is no trouble. Trying to figure out the jetting on your own is hours of trial and error. Most people who run pods and have trouble didn't rejet at all, or just upped the main a tad and though that would do it. For MY bike (and they differ), the DJ kit took the main from stock (117 I think) all the way to a 160 (yes, seriously), put restrictors in the air jet, and came with more tapered needles (that are then raised). Imagine trying to just figure that out on your own.

Comment

Cool. So is k&n only pods you would rec. for good quailty and ability to run in the rain??

Comment

So are the APE filters comparable to K&N filters? Also on the APE website it doesn't shop by inlet size and does not show a GS650 on there site. Does the gs750 and soon have the same carb intake size? like do they fit gs650?

Am I looking for a 52mm pod right?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      High quality pods, with the jetting correct (which the dynojet kit hits about 95%) is no trouble. Trying to figure out the jetting on your own is hours of trial and error. Most people who run pods and have trouble didn't rejet at all, or just upped the main a tad and though that would do it. For MY bike (and they differ), the DJ kit took the main from stock (117 I think) all the way to a 160 (yes, seriously), put restrictors in the air jet, and came with more tapered needles (that are then raised). Imagine trying to just figure that out on your own.
                      Dynojet and Mikuni jets are not rated the same

So are the APE filters comparable to K&N filters? Also on the APE website it doesn't shop by inlet size and does not show a GS650 on there site. Does the gs750 and soon have the same carb intake size? like do they fit gs650?

Am I looking for a 52mm pod right?
                      The APE pods will work. I was just at Ape. Even met Big Jay.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

"Dynojet and Mikuni jets are not rated the same"

I know. I'm running a 170 dynojet, which is a 159 and some change mikuni.

Comment

I’m firmly in the pod haters camp. The carbs are tuned to work with the stock airbox and exhaust so why mess around with Mr. Suzuki’s good work? Quality pods cost a lot of money ($70 - $150), and a jet kit is another $100. K&N’s allow more dirt to get though to the engine compared to the stock filter inside the airbox, and certain weather conditions, such as rain and side winds, can upset the mixture. If you are racing, building a heavily modified project bike, or tearing it apart several times per year (like Chef), then pods have some value. Otherwise I stick to stock.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i have no stock air box though. thats whgy i am wondering. seems like some guys run pods on there daily drivers and like them, I hear the key is to have them correctly oiled

Please if you have had Pods or still have pods on your daily rider let me know!
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

... seems like some guys run pods on there daily drivers and like them, I hear the key is to have them correctly oiled
                              Whether your pods need to be oiled depends on the type of filter.
                              K&N is a fabric filter media that requires oiling.
                              I don't know about the APE filters.
                              EMGO filters are paper and require NO oiling.
                              If you oil them, they will be restricted more than intended and will lead to other jetting headaches.

EDIT to answer your last request: my daily driver has a stock Honda air filter. All the GSs in the stable have K&N inserts in the stock airbox.

Last edited by Steve; 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X