Replacing master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing master cylinder

I'm just throwing this out there to warn people about buying front master cylinders off of other bikes. I thought it was really simple, if a bike used dual discs, then it should work with other bikes with dual discs, and the same goes for single disc bikes. Well I just got a front MC from a 2001 kawasaki zx12r and although the bike is a dual disc bike, the MC is a 5/8 bore. It seems that kawasaki uses 5/8 bore for pretty much all of their bikes, the difference lies in the calipers. So now I have a nice front MC that I can't use. Or am I completely wrong? I'm kind of hoping I am.
    -Theo

That MC should be fine. Suzuki uses 5/8 for dual disc as well.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      That MC should be fine. Suzuki uses 5/8 for dual disc as well.
      Well that is good to hear. I was always under the impression that 5/8" was used for single discs, and 3/4" for dual discs. Is that incorrect? Thanks for the reply.
      -Theo

Comment

Not sure what you are saying. Why can't you use that master?

Could you elaborate for me?

Cheers,
        Spyug

Just saw the Doc's post and that's what I was going to say also ( or at least words to that effect)

Comment

Suzuki uses (I have been told) 14mm for single and 5/8 (16mm) for dual.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            Not sure what you are saying. Why can't you use that master?

Could you elaborate for me?

Cheers,
            Spyug

Just saw the Doc's post and that's what I was going to say also ( or at least words to that effect)
            It was misinformation on my part. It seems everything I was reading was talking about harleys. What I read said all single disc bikes use 5/8 and all dual discs use 3/4" Although it was harley specific I thought it was applicable to all bikes. I guess (thankfully) I was wrong. Sorry for confusing anyone else out there.

Comment

It was misinformation on my part. It seems everything I was reading was talking about harleys.
              Well my man, that's your mistake right there. Don't you know by now you can rely on anything coming from those dudes

Actually, your gut was right from the get go. If it came from a sportbike and was designed to work with twin calipers, its going to work on an itsy bitsy GS. Go with your gut...not the Harley folks.

Glad its going to work for you.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Working...
              X