Fork bracket (?) removal...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork bracket (?) removal...?

Not sure if I am calling it the right thing or not, but I am wanting to remove the bracket that spans the forks and is located just below the headlight bucket. I took the two bolts out but still can't seem to get the bracket off....and a large part of it seems to be plastic so I don't want to break it.....anyone know how to get this thing off without breaking it....and please don't tell me I have to dismantle the whole fork assembly to get it off....that would probably make me cry......I just want to clean it and paint it to match the color scheme I am going with......

I did a search looking for help, but didn't find anything...but could be I am calling it the wrong thing....

Thanx so much.....again.....Anita

I'm not sure of the part name for that specific item either other than 'dewhicky', but....you do have to take the forks off to get at it. Seems backwards don't it!
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I don't have a better picture but is this what you are talking about?

If so, that is the lower triple tree clamp. I'm not sure how your bike is but to remove it you'll have to remove the forks among other things. You'll also have to remove the steering stem bolt, then remove the upper triple tree clamp, remove the steering stem nut, then the lower triple tree clamp should come right out. It seems like a lot but it's actually pretty easy.

Comment

Yup have to slide forks down till free.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
          If so, that is the lower triple tree clamp. I'm not sure how your bike is but to remove it you'll have to remove the forks among other things. You'll also have to remove the steering stem bolt, then remove the upper triple tree clamp, remove the steering stem nut, then the lower triple tree clamp should come right out. It seems like a lot but it's actually pretty easy.
          No need to remove the steering stem bolt or the upper triple tree clamp or the steering stem nut.

It may not sound that simple to you, but it really is not all that bad. Just:
          Loosen the upper and lower fork leg clamps
          Remove the brake calipers from the fork legs
          Remove the speedo cable from its drive unit
          Support the front of the engine so the front wheel is off the ground
          Remove the axle, roll the wheel out (watch the spacers)
          Remove the fender
          The forks should slide down now. Watch the headlight mounting ears, they will come loose now.
          Once the headlight ears are loose from the forks, you can lift the trim piece out and clean, paint, whatever you want to do to it.

Reassembly is, of course, reversing the above steps.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok....so that isn't what I really wanted to hear.....now to drop back and regroup.....just gonna try to tape off and cover everything that needs to be protected and paint the darn thing right where it sits! Has anyone ever tried this before.....I have thought about this alot in the past when it comes to painting stuff in place.....how would it work if say you coated the areas that you wanted to protect with something like Vaseline or some other form of greasy stuff....would the paint/overspray still stick to the part or would it just wipe away with the grease? Makes sense to me....but a lot of stupid ideas make sense to me....

Thanx again...Anita

Comment

You can smear the grease if you want, but it might just be easier to use a lot of newspaper and tape.

Yes, the paint will wipe off with the grease, if you choose to go that route.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanx Steve for the reply.....I am planning on doing a lot of taping and newspaper....just thought about the grease for the areas that are really hard to get to with the tape.....sort of an added protection......

Thanx again....for all the replies....you guys are tops!

Anita

Comment

In the time it takes to tape everything off you could just remove it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    In the time it takes to tape everything off you could just remove it!!!
                    I was thinking the same thing, Lynn, but not all the ladies on the forum are as skilled with a wrench as you are.

I was thinking about half an hour, tops, to have the trim piece in-hand, then about 30-45 minutes to put it back together.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X