X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgot to bench sync, idiot....

I have put some questions in bold.
    What I have done so far

Cleaned and dipped the carbs and put them on back on the bike.

Was having trouble starting the bike so I thought I would take the carbs off to check again.

Realised that I forgot to adjust the throttle plates. They were totally closed.

Will that make the bike near impossible to start and idle?

Then I put new orings in the air screws (just to be sure) but I found one of the air screw washers bent. I now need a new washer.

Does anyone know the part number for that as I could not see it on the parts diagram?

Are the air screws supposed to be semi difficult to screw in or extremely easy to screw in?

Then I put new orings in the carb joiner pipes but they were not quite right so I need to order new orings as well.

Oh well when it rains it pours....

Will that make the bike near impossible to start and idle?
    Yes

Does anyone know the part number for that as I could not see it on the parts diagram?
    Don't have a clue of the part number. You could try posting in the parts wanted section, some one would probably be willing to post a couple to you.

Are the air screws supposed to be semi difficult to screw in or extremely easy to screw in?
    They should screw in relatively easily. There is a spring in there so you will have some resistance.

Comment

Yes Joe,

If the throttle plates are closed the bike will not idle. That is why you adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw (the large thumb screw) under the carbs to open the throttle plates to a point where the motor will idle.

Are you saying that you did a carb dip and didn't replace the carb "O" rings (BAD BOY). You gotta do it RIGHT the first time. Or you will need to do it a second time. As you will have by now realised. Replace all the "O" rings in the carbs, every single one. Replace the intake stub "O" rings as well. You can get them from "Cycleorings.com". They will only take about a week and a half to get to you. And the cost is very reasonable.

Didn't you pull the mixture screws out when you did the carb dip? There's an "O" ring in there too.

Comment

I have never been able to buy those small washers, but have made up a few. Bundle a couple of stainless washers with the correct ID on a bolt and tighten them down, then carefully grind the tube of washers to get the correct OD, smooth the edges with some sand paper.
        If you get some for sale somewhere let us know please.

Comment

Im sure i have some extras laying around if ya want some

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
            Im sure i have some extras laying around if ya want some
            Piester

can you send me two or three if you have them please.

Let me know the cost and I will forward.

I will PM you the address if ok

Comment

If the throttle plates are closed there will no vacuum to suck the fuel out of the main jet which is diverted to the pilot jet when the jet needle is in the main.
              So no, it will not start.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you buy a full set of carb rebuild o-rings at cycleorings.com (including the fuel rails), he can sell you the idle screw washers too. About $1/pkg. 2 IIRC.

Comment

****, i just did the EXACT same thing!(bench sync)

Now i gotta pull those ****in carbs out AGAIN......
                  I knew i was forgetting something.

I wonder if I can do this with the carbs half-way out?

Actually, im wondering if that's why my bike had so much trouble idling in the first place!
                  (the owner before me forget to bench sync it?)

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't bench sync with the airbox removed.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      ****, i just did the EXACT same thing!(bench sync)

Now i gotta pull those ****in carbs out AGAIN......
                      I knew i was forgetting something.

I wonder if I can do this with the carbs half-way out?

Actually, im wondering if that's why my bike had so much trouble idling in the first place!
                      (the owner before me forget to bench sync it?)
                      I'd try and see if it starts. You might get it to run good enough to do a vacuum synch (assuming you have a carb synch tool).
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                        I'd try and see if it starts. You might get it to run good enough to do a vacuum synch (assuming you have a carb synch tool).
                        You're saying to just try and crank it over even without benching it?
                        If i can get the bike to idle somewhat, will a vacuum sync over-ride everything so i don't have to go back and bench it?

What should I do with the Choke when starting the bike up for the first time?

But yes, i just bought a brand new carb sync kit, so that's ready to go.

Comment

If everything is installed (airbox ect) prime the float bowls (see prime on petcock), open the choke the whole way and without touching the throttle crank the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                            You're saying to just try and crank it over even without benching it?
                            If i can get the bike to idle somewhat, will a vacuum sync over-ride everything so i don't have to go back and bench it?
                            If you didn't disturb the synch screws when you took the carbs apart, they will still be close. Bench synching just gets them close enough to run so that you can vacuum synch them.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks Chef, that cleared it up for me.

Reno: Nah, i didn't touch the screws at all. But i remember the butterflys being pretty close to the bottom, i do remember shinning a flashlight and seeing alittle light coming thru the bottom, but I still think they may be alittle tight! But I hope im wrong! Because like I said, the bike had an Idling problem, and I was just wondering if it could have been due to the last guy not Benching it, although he would have had to sync it, which should have fixed it.....im just being stupid and paranoid!

Im gonna hook the gas tank and try to fire her up, enough of me blabbering,

Thanks a bunch guys

Comment

Working...
                              X