forgot to bench sync, idiot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
    You're saying to just try and crank it over even without benching it?
    If i can get the bike to idle somewhat, will a vacuum sync over-ride everything so i don't have to go back and bench it?

What should I do with the Choke when starting the bike up for the first time?

But yes, i just bought a brand new carb sync kit, so that's ready to go.
    The vacuum snych is going to be more precise than the bench synch. Essentially, the bench sync is to get the motor to run, the vacuum synch will tune the carbs to the engines demands.

Go ahead and "choke" the engine to start, most likely will not start otherwise.

Typically, I will get engine up to operating temp and then go about a vacuum synch while running a fan to help cool engine. I think for the 650 they recommend 1750 rpm engine speed for vacuum sync.

Comment

Reno: Nah, i didn't touch the screws at all. But i remember the butterflys being pretty close to the bottom, i do remember shinning a flashlight and seeing alittle light coming thru the bottom, but I still think they may be alittle tight!
      Screwing in the idle knob opens them up.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

You also need to make sure the main idle adjustment has the butterflies open a wee bit so air can enter the carb throat.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Alrite guys, im having trouble getting her to fire up, it just keeps cranking.

I've got my tank on a seperate stand with extended fuel lines.
          I think I have the tank high enough, since it's gravity fed. I have a secondary fuel filter installed, and i can see the fuel bubbling and moving down the line.

I have the choke wide open.
          I turned the main Idle adjustment knob underneath the carbs In a little bit.
          I also turned the Air Screws out about 1 1/2 turns.
          (im having a problem with the 4th screw, it's stuck and stripped pretty bad, although last time I turned it, it was pretty loose, so hopefully it's alrite for now......)

Here's my main question guys.
          How long does it take for enough fuel to get into the float bowls before you start getting the engine to run?

Because, i've been crankin it for a while now, and fuel keeps moving thru the filter, but it's not starting.

Should I try giving it some more throttle/gas or what?

Comment

Quoting from v8 merc, then responding:

I've got my tank on a seperate stand with extended fuel lines.
            I think I have the tank high enough, since it's gravity fed.
            Your remote tank should be about the same height as your standard tank.

I have a secondary fuel filter installed, and i can see the fuel bubbling and moving down the line.
            If possible, get rid of the filter. You already have a filter on the petcock, nothing should be getting past that.

I have the choke wide open.
            What are you calling "wide open"? I believe you have a lever under the left handgrip?
            Lever to the RIGHT is the OFF position, where it should be when riding.
            Pulling the lever to the LEFT engages the "choke" for starting.

I turned the main Idle adjustment knob underneath the carbs In a little bit.
            I also turned the Air Screws out about 1 1/2 turns.
            They are not "air screws", they are "Idle mixture adjustment screws" and should be turned out another turn. Start with them between 2 1/2 and 3 turns out. After the bike is warm, fine-tune them using the highest-idle method.

(im having a problem with the 4th screw, it's stuck and stripped pretty bad, although last time I turned it, it was pretty loose, so hopefully it's alrite for now......)

Here's my main question guys.
            How long does it take for enough fuel to get into the float bowls before you start getting the engine to run?
            If the carbs were TOTALLY DRY, maybe a minute, usually less.

Because, i've been crankin it for a while now, and fuel keeps moving thru the filter, but it's not starting.
            As mentioned earlier, get rid of the filter, if possible.

Should I try giving it some more throttle/gas or what?
            While trying to start the engine, especially if using the "choke", do NOT touch the throttle.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also make sure that your vacuum line from your petcock is hooked up, or plug the port at the carb and use prime on your petcock.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

indyjoel, looks like your thread has been hijacked!! Sorry about that.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Yo V8 Mercury, start your own thread.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    indyjoel, looks like your thread has been hijacked!! Sorry about that.
                    it's all good, no problem, more knowledge the better.

until my stiches heal I am not going near her.

Comment

also am waiting on a new reco set of carbs from a lovely person on the list.

They are the carbs with the vent hoses between the carbs, mine dont currently as the Suz dealer tells me some AUS carbs dont have the vent hoses

Comment

Originally posted by indyjoel View Post
                        also am waiting on a new reco set of carbs from a lovely person on the list.

They are the carbs with the vent hoses between the carbs, mine dont currently as the Suz dealer tells me some AUS carbs dont have the vent hoses
                        Don't believe them Joe. They'll tell you anything.

Comment

joel ive got a spare set of carbs here, worked perfectly when i yanked em from the bike.

wouldn't be too bad shipping them from NZ 100 + shipping or something and you can have em... has the vent hoses you speak of.

Comment

Haha, sorry about jacking your thread, i swear i've never done that before
                            (usually it happens to me, more than often)

Well it looks like the air screw on carb # 4 is completely stuck,(therefor I cannot adjust **** now...) the threading is toast, and the Flathead grip is toast also! I really don't know if I'm going to be able to get it out guys!

The ONLY thing I can think of, is maybe take a dab of JB Weld and stick it to a screw driver, and press it on the screw till it sets hard, then give it a turn....
                            Or either that, just cut the outter aluminum around the air screw, till I can grip it with some pliers or something....

Anyone have any spare BS32SS carbs laying around?
                            (82 GS 650g)

Or anyone know where I can get one at?

Comment

Well it looks like the air screw on carb # 4 is completely stuck,(therefor I cannot adjust **** now...) the threading is toast, and the Flathead grip is toast also! I really don't know if I'm going to be able to get it out guys!

The ONLY thing I can think of, is maybe take a dab of JB Weld and stick it to a screw driver, and press it on the screw till it sets hard, then give it a turn....
                              Or either that, just cut the outter aluminum around the air screw, till I can grip it with some pliers or something....

Anyone have any spare BS32SS carbs laying around?
                              (82 GS 650g)
                              One method I have done with success is to use a large cut-off wheel in my Dremel tool to cut a slot down the 'tower' around the screw, then down far enough to cut a fresh slot in the top of the screw. If you cut the slot carefully down the 'tower', the screw will come out very nicely.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                One method I have done with success is to use a large cut-off wheel in my Dremel tool to cut a slot down the 'tower' around the screw, then down far enough to cut a fresh slot in the top of the screw. If you cut the slot carefully down the 'tower', the screw will come out very nicely.

Ohhh okay yeah, i was already planning on cutting the tower down some, but i didn't think about just cutting a new slot, i didn't think i would be able to for some reason, i dont know wtf i was thinking, but yeah, thanks!
                                Im just going to do that, it's pretty much the only option.

Comment

Working...
                                X