stripped out drain plug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped out drain plug.

does anyone know if suzuki or anyone makes a drain plug rethreading kit with oversized plug or not? If i get an oil pan off a 750 will it fit the my bike('85 gs700e)? What is the best way to repair this? I still haven't had any luck finding any of the specs on this bike yet.

Trevor

The local shop here has a good track record of fixing the drain plug by using a insert. The drain hole ends up being smaller in diameter, but the insert and bolt are both steel which means you got to try alot harder to strip it out.

Comment

You can probably get a Helicoil kit for it fairly cheap from an auto parts store.

Tim

Comment

heli-coil is what I was thinking too but I have no idea how to use one. Could some spell it out for me?

Thanks, Trevor

Comment

You will have to take the pan off so you might consider taking it to a machine shop, heli coil kits are about $35-$40 per kit. it must be installed straight to seal properly. doing it with a hand drill can be dificult if you have never installed heli coils. If you have a good auto machine shop locally they should be able to do the job for you, probably cost half of what kit would cost.

Comment

I got some thread repair at my local Advance Auto. I think it was called,,,,,,Permatex thread repair. About 5 bucks. Follow instructions on package. I think it took 24hours or so to set up but was easy to do. I have no more problems thus far.
            Michael.

Comment

curently I am running the permatex thread repair...more specifically, it is called rtv blue silicon. It is holding pretty good, but still a bit leaky. If it weren't for the collector on my V&H system preventing the bolt from coming out I would be in a much worse situation. I will pull the pan and try to find a machine shop in the area. Does anyone know of a good one in the New York metro area(preferably the N.J. side-bayonne, jersey city,newark...) I would like to have leak-free come the weekend.

Trevor

Comment

The kit that I got was not the silicon. It is actually a two part hardner- and thread filler. You apply to the threads and wait so long and then you apply another agent to the bolt and let it set up and then insert the bolt and let sit overnight! It makes new threads inside your pan.Works well.

Comment

I am liking the looks of that. It gives me an excuse to ride somewhere during my lunch break too. I'll just look around for a back-up oil pan in case i have any future problems. Thanks for the help

Trevor

Comment

Stripped oil plug

I just stripped my oil plug last weekend. Here's how I fixed it.

A-Went down to the local auto parts store and spent $10 on a 14mm (standard size for a spark plug) helicoil.

B-Removed my battery, because

C-Tipped my bike on it's side (with buckets under the signals to keep them from the ground) very carefully.

D-Used the heli-coil (looks like a black metal chisel with grooves in it) to rethred the drain pan opening.

E- Attached the appropriate length thread (comes in the kit) to my oil plug.

F-Inserted oil plug with new thread into opening.

No leaks, no muss, no fuss. $10.00 and 1/2 an hour.

Hope this helps.

Comment

sounds like another fine option. Are the drain plugs a 14mm thread also? so there are a couple of good options that will let me ride with confidence by the weekend.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
                      X