No announcement yet.

How can I get rid of this much carbon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the replies. I had though about using a wire brush but I was afraid that it would score the top of the pistons. I'm no pro mechanic (in any sense of the word.), but given a long enough timeline can usually work things out.

Thanks for posting pics of other engines in similar conditions. Makes me feel better abot what I found on min.

Comment

Just a quick question. Is there anything to add to the fuel or way of running the engine to prevent this kind of buildup? How many miles on the motor before you saw that kind of problem.

Jim
      GS Score Card
      4-400 Series GS's
      3-500 Series
      1-600 Series
      1-700 Series
      4-800 Series
      1-1000 Series
      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
        Just a quick question. Is there anything to add to the fuel or way of running the engine to prevent this kind of buildup? How many miles on the motor before you saw that kind of problem.

Jim
        Build up like that is normal and nothing to worry about. Some occasional Seafoam use wouldn't hurt though, which I "think" will keep the buildup down to a minimum.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you didn't have that kind of carbon buildup on a medium milege motor I would suspect a lean engine.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post

Jim
            Yes, My friend in UK has a Chevy Suburban which runs on liquid gas (not petroleum), it has 146K on the motor and the cylinder head started to leak, we whipped the head off and to my amazement the tops of the pistons were like NEW!!!
            He has 2 huge tanks in the back and fills up every couple of weeks...,,,,
            Don't know if its possible to run a bike though!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil View Post
              Yes, My friend in UK has a Chevy Suburban which runs on liquid gas (not petroleum), it has 146K on the motor and the cylinder head started to leak, we whipped the head off and to my amazement the tops of the pistons were like NEW!!!
              He has 2 huge tanks in the back and fills up every couple of weeks...,,,,
              Don't know if its possible to run a bike though!!!!!!!!
              Wow, that must burn very clean.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can shoot water or alcohol into a revved engine to loosen carbon up but that's a project unto itself
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  You can shoot water or alcohol into a revved engine to loosen carbon up but that's a project unto itself
                  I always assumed that would have been simple; why is it involved?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Very easy, a small line from a gallon jug into the carburetor synchronization port. Engine vacuum will pull the water in, no pumping required. I use a little screw valve for a fish tank pump to shut off or adjust the flow. Go for a ride, once warmed up and cruising open the valve, let it flow very slowly. Use a flow rate low enough it does not effect the way it runs. When it's empty refill and move on to the next cylinder.
                    Learned this when Water Buffaloes were new, we had one with a water leak in #2 cylinder, the piston looked like it had never been run.
                    Been doing it ever since, cars, bikes, whatever.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Well you have to rig up four tubes to a water source, go through the sync ports and you need to get the bike started before you introduce the water.

I would go through the airbox somewhere, like the pcv vent.

Or the old fashion method of 90 mph for about an hour. That should do it

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Very easy, a small line from a gallon jug into the carburetor synchronization port. Engine vacuum will pull the water in, no pumping required. I use a little screw valve for a fish tank pump to shut off or adjust the flow. Go for a ride, once warmed up and cruising open the valve, let it flow very slowly. Use a flow rate low enough it does not effect the way it runs. When it's empty refill and move on to the next cylinder.
                        Learned this when Water Buffaloes were new, we had one with a water leak in #2 cylinder, the piston looked like it had never been run.
                        Been doing it ever since, cars, bikes, whatever.
                        Thanks. Will ahve to get a rig like that.

Comment

Transmission fluid works too. marvel mystery oil does as well.

I ran water and alcohol injection on my small block ford for years. It was a Holley system that injected under 10 mg of vacuum and only if the engine was up to temperature. Don't do this on a cold engine, ever.

When I decided to swap heads around the pistons were almost spotless.

Water injection is actually banned in racing, apparently it's considered an unfair advantage
                          Last edited by duaneage; 01-31-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X