I want a smooth '79 850 GN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    A '79 would have the good harder rear wheel spline, but you should definitely make sure it's properly lubricated with 60% moly paste. It's about $12 for a lifetime supply at any Honda dealer.

Also, your next step is to seal your airbox.

Where do I find the instructions to sealing the airbox?

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting by the way,

Comment

Originally posted by Rob81 View Post

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting by the way,
      Try the search at the top of the page. Can find most things that way. Try "Seal airbox". I think guys use weather stripping.

Comment

Hi,

Here's a link from my little website. Please visit often.

Airbox Sealing
        (by Mr. Roostabunny)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I ain't no 850G expert but your symptoms sure sound like a carb synch problem to me. I noticed you have ignored that suggestion while taking up several others that would not be specific to the problem you describe. They aren't that hard to do and should be in any motorcycle mechanics bag of tricks. The gauges aren't that expensive check flea bay I have one of the cheap sets and it works fine. I got real good at it when I had a rather large KZ1300 collection. I built my own 6 gauge set for those, which was overkill but it sure LOOKED cool. And it's use cured several bikes of the very condition you describe. The KZ's also always needed new coils and improved wiring helped too but after the carbs are cleaned the synch is what cures the slow to idle problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Here's a link from my little website. Please visit often.

Airbox Sealing
            (by Mr. Roostabunny)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Thanks BC,
            The last few days I have turned into an avid fan of your website! I didn't see the Airbox sealing part before, Thanks for the link!

--yesterday I checked the plugs and they were fried! After replacing them, cleaning the airfilter and airbox, adjusting the idle, the bike runs better, but still died twice on the way home when sitting at a light. Almost like it bogs at a low RPM. Im riding to work and will see how she runs tonight.
            --I am ordering the carb O-rings and searching for a petcock.
            "GGGGary"--To answer your comment, I am waiting to install the O-rings before I call Ray for a carb sync, (i plan to do this last)

Comment

Thanks BC,
              The last few days I have turned into an avid fan of your website! I didn't see the Airbox sealing part before, Thanks for the link!

--yesterday I checked the plugs and they were fried! After replacing them, cleaning the airfilter and airbox, adjusting the idle, the bike runs better, but still died twice on the way home when sitting at a light. Almost like it bogs at a low RPM. Im riding to work and will see how she runs tonight.
              --I am ordering the carb O-rings and searching for a petcock.
              "GGGGary"--To answer your comment, I am waiting to install the O-rings before I call Ray for a carb sync, (i plan to do this last)
              Fear not mate!

As rustybronco has stated earlier in the thread, my 79 850 was a pain in the chuff for over a year, ran exactly as you describe. Patience, diligence and perseverence will pay off big time. It did for me, still not 100% yet but now it's just tweaking the setup (I hope). There's no excuse, you have to cover all the basic stuff that's already been listed out for you. When all that's done, only then can you track down what else is amiss.

Stick with it and don't be afraid to ask.
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

BTW--I recorded a video of the bike after placing the plugs and cleaning out the airbox.
                Enjoy--

1979 GS850 GN

Click Here to Watch Video

Comment

Working...
                X