GS 1000g rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000g rattle

Had the valves adjusted and put some new plugs in her and wow great to go for a ride again.

I noticed that after about 20min that there was a rattle that seemed to be coming from the crank case. sounds a little like a chain rattle but I know that there was a new chain and tensioner installed approx 5k ago

I was thinking that the oil whick is new is not standing up once the motor is hot.

Any comments?????

Craig

oil whick

What is an oil whick

Comment

GS 1000g rattle

it was suposed to be "which " not whick stupid computer

Comment

If you've popped decent oil in there its will be fine.

Is the rattle loud? Don't forget these old air cooled motors made a bit of a rattle even when new (compared to modern bikes).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You may have installed a new tensioner, but was it installed correctly?

You can't just slap them in there, you have to do some fiddling with it to get it set right.

Also, if it's low in the crankcase, probably even toward the right side, you might want to check your clutch basket.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i'm inclined to agree with steve if your rattle only happens at idle and goes away once your RPM's go up then it's 99% your clutch basket the springs are loose it's not a big worry but you should think about getting it rebuilt
            also a good carb sync can sometimes make it go away
            there is also a quick fix for this i don't know where the thread is but Tkent posted it. i haven't tried it but it looks like it would work for a while anyhow till you can get it fixed

Comment

Working...
            X