Horn button repair ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn button repair ?

My horn on 83 1100 e is not working ,traced it to button ,wiggle it sometimes it will work. Started to take control apart and can't get it apart,i know about locking tab, but cant get blinker switch off .I dont want to break anything ,what is the trick to getting apart in one piece.thanks

Did you get it off the bars?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Did you get it off the bars?
      Yes i have it off bars, opened up ,took metal plate off,and there's a plastic board for the blinkers (self cancel) the horn button is underneath.there's a release tab on housing,but i need to get blinker slide-switch off without breaking it (like usual).I dont want to force it,but i know it should come off. Thanks

Comment

Save a bunch of headaches................ go buy a new one.

Comment

The switch on my 650 had a screw, which was a bit hard to see. This screw held the circuit panel in place. Once you pull that off, springs and ball bearings will (may) fly, take care! New switch $90.00, plus or minus. The fun of finding ball bearing and springs, priceless. I did mine, cleaned the contacts and reasembled and the horn works good. I need to take apart again and install the springs and ball bearing I found weeks afterward. I made a little tool, to compress the horn spring untill I could assemble the panel back on. The tool inserts through a slot in the side of the housing. If this dosen't make sense, PM me and I'll take some pictures.

Charlie G.

P.S. Phil where is your sense of adventure?
          Last edited by Charlie G; 01-31-2010, 03:40 AM.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I've had mine out too and I do believe it's just a small phillips srew holding it together.
            Wasn't all that
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad GS 750 E View Post
              .....,what is the trick to getting apart in one piece.thanks
              Mad, Maybe you have it apart enough to spray in some contact cleaner, and that might take care of it without taking it apart any further (and taking chance on parts flying like described above).

And as others said, the horn button parts are not avaialble seperatly, just with the entire asssmebly with turnsignal and choke and everthing. (can get clutch switch and front brake switch seperatly).

Last edited by Redman; 01-31-2010, 02:38 PM.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

After going to the tread Bonanza dave showed me (thanks),i think its got all the info i need.Before opening up pandora's box, first i'll try spraying it like redman suggested .Im still not sure how to take the slide-blinker switch off (where you push side to side)does it just pull off? some of the guys broke that.I'm thinking of opening it up in a clear bag to catch the shrapnel when it explodes. thank again for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad GS 750 E View Post
                    does it just pull off?
                    NO !! The slider knob has got a T on the back (inside) that fits into a slot in the housing. If you pry on it you will break off the T. Ya have to pull the switch guts out of the housing and then turn the knob 90 degrees and then it pulls right out.

Reassemble the switch guts with dielectric grease. It will hold all the little parts in place and lube the switch movement too.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      NO !! The slider knob has got a T on the back (inside) that fits into a slot in the housing. If you pry on it you will break off the T. Ya have to pull the switch guts out of the housing and then turn the knob 90 degrees and then it pulls right out.

Reassemble the switch guts with dielectric grease. It will hold all the little parts in place and lube the switch movement too.
                      Like he said. I broke mine and managed to super glue it together. We'll see how long it lasts.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                      X