Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves and head job

Hi guys,
    I have been browsing around the site for some time now to look for some answers. And I have almost decided what to do. Before I go on though I would like to share my ideas with you.

Here is the story:
    1. My 77' GS750 burns oil. Unfortunately I do not have the exact amount. The only thing I know is that I do not ride it much and still I have had to top it with oil a couple of times (approx. 500 km).

2. It does not smoke. However when starting the bike with the choke on small black sooty particles (and a bit of black smoke) come out of the exhaust.

3. A small amount of oil is leaking out of the valve cover sides.

4. Sooty plugs on 1+4.

5. Oil is slipping out of the head gasket, in the front and on the sides.

SO I AM THINKING:

-Worn valve stem seals is causing the oil consumption. Especially as the black particles only come out at start with coke on (oil slips through the seals?), agree?

I am thinking that I should replace the valve stem seals and of course gaskets. But I am also thinking that I should replace the head gasket while in there as it does not look too good, is it worth it?

Should I even replace the cam chain while in there, it is kind of noisy?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
    Kroisos

PS: I am an idiot thinking about repairing a perfectly well functioning bike when the weather is actually nice here in Denmark (for the moment).

Re-torque the head bolts. Then ride for the summer. Replace everthing you list in the winter, and check your rings. Oil is cheap, if the weather is warm and sunny.

Kim

Comment

Ride for now. The ice bears will be out soon.

Comment

My stem seals are also letting in a little oil (old age and hardened) but nowhere near that much..I may add a little oil in between oil changes.

Keep riding for now. Do a compression test to get the whole picture, then sit down come Autumn to figure out what needs doing.

Comment

Keep in mind that air cooled motors tend to burn a little oil - not enough that you will see it in the exhaust- due to the looser tolerances needed due to expansion of parts as the motor warms up. How much are you ading at 500 km?

Hap

Comment

I don't know really know how much I added. But i filled it up to just about the F mark, and 500 km later it was on E, how much is that?

Anyway, I think I will listen to the advice given by you guys. I will concentrate on riding the bike for the summer. In the autumn and winter however I will be working on the engine.

I was even thinking about reboring the engine and fitting new oversized pistons while having the head of. Is that overkill???

Comment

Originally posted by kroisos
              I don't know really know how much I added. But i filled it up to just about the F mark, and 500 km later it was on E, how much is that?

Anyway, I think I will listen to the advice given by you guys. I will concentrate on riding the bike for the summer. In the autumn and winter however I will be working on the engine.

I was even thinking about reboring the engine and fitting new oversized pistons while having the head of. Is that overkill???

It takes about 300ml from E to F in my window, or is it 600ml? I forget. If you are using more than a litre every 1,000 kms it is time to do something.

However, as long as you are aware of it, and keep topping it up, soon you will get to fix the motor. Oil is cheap and if you keep it topped up the motor will not worry too much.

And remember to use 20W50 oil. You might also add some "stop smoke" additive if it is worrying you. This will be like pouring honey into the motor and will keep excessive consumption under control.

The oversize pistons are only overkill if you don't really need them. Have a good engineer check the bores and hone them lightly to deglaze the barrels. You don't have to pay for extra pistons unless really necessary. New rings are expensive enough.

And don't go for cheap rings or valve guide seals. The Suzuki parts are more expensive, but the cheap alternatives will only see you through until next summer and it will all need doing again.

Kim

Comment

Working...
              X