Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a 1000 Katana

So I just bought an 82 Katana off Ebay
    It has been sitting for a while so once I get it home what are the first things I should be doing

It is running and riding fine - starts on the button, charges etc etc

My list is
    New tires
    New Oil/Filter
    New Brake Fluid

Should I also change the Fork Oil, and the Tank does have a little corrosion inside - seal it or tank off and clean it out?

Cheers

Damn, this is the year of the Kat for sure. They're popping up everywhere.

A complete fluid change is always a good idea, especially if you don't know the maintenance history. I would also check the wheel bearings, steering head bearings and swingarm bearings as well.

Pictures whenyou get her please.

Cheers and enjoy.

Spyug

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse. Very nice score to pick up a 1000 over here - much rarer in the UK than they are in the US.

Best thing to do is give the bike a blo*dy good service and I would include the fork oil in that; who knows - it might be the original '82 stuff in there.

Worth considering changing the brake lines as well. If we're not talking concours here swapping to braided hoses is well worth doing. Pads might be worth a look at - even if they've got plenty of meat on them if they're old there is a risk of them crumbling.

Checking the valve clearances is also a must, even if the bike does seem to be running well.

As for the tank I would avoid sealing if possible. If it's just a light bit of rust in there try removing it with electrolysis (real easy and cheap to do if you've not done it before).

And like Spyug says - as soon as you get a chance post some piccies. If you also pop your address down that'll help jealous me nip round after dark and pinch it

Cheers
      Wally
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm about 2 weeks off from finishing the 83 Kat 1100 that I have been restoring.
        Will post pix up soon as I finish.
        Great bike you have, one tip, always make sure the oil is topped up on the sight glass before you go ride.

Comment

Working...
        X