Damaged threads 82 GS 1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged threads 82 GS 1100GL

Changing the oil today (1982 GS 1100GL) and it feels like the engine oil drain threads are damaged. Does anyone now the thread size? (14mm???) I want to try to clean the threads up with a thread chaser. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

The plug should be 14mm x 1.25 pitch. Do the threads on the plug look damaged? You should be able to get a thread-sert or helicoil to replace the threads if the pan is damaged.

Comment

You can also get a +1 oversize plug at Auto Zone for about $3. Not sure just how much bigger it is, but it's the same pitch on the threads, just cuts them a little deeper and works quite well. Yes, I have a couple of them in use.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Over sized drain plug.. Motormite part # 65217

Comment

While we are on the subject, how the he** do people manage to strip oil plugs?

I've changed the oil on my four cars and two bikes for years and have never stripped an oil plug. Are they cross threading the plug or using gorilla strength to tighten it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. The oversize plug seems to be the way to go. Just bought the bike and the previous owner said the plug dripped occasionally. Now I know why. The pan is damaged. The plug doesn't bottom out. It gets a little tight then just spins....
            Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2010, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Installed the oversized plug yesterday. No leaks and worked great. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X