Transmission, clutch whats my problem? '80 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission, clutch whats my problem? '80 GS450

So, yesterday I did some stuff to my bike a 1980 GS450... mostly cosmetic, handle bars.. brakes some electrical etc. It was running fine. Now I'm aware of two problems with my bike that I'm in the process of fixing: a tempermental petcock, and a small leak from the carbs... Now I'm reading about gas in the crankcase.. So I finished all my cosmetic stuff, by the way she looks gorgeous.. hop on her, crank her up no problem.. roll down the drive way, of course, to find out.. that yes I'm getting it into gear and the display recognizes it.... but no love and or motion.. same all the way up to 5th. Can I hope that possibly changing my oil will remedy my situation or am I dealing with something bigger?

Is this too vague a question? and I should go drain the oil and open her up?

I had my countershaft sprocket come off once, and that's what it did. Is your chain loose? Can you feel it go into gear? It's possible your clutch could be way out of adjustment. Changing your oil, while a good thing to do, won't fix the problem.

Comment

My chain is a little slack and in fact, I admit, lately i've been ignoring a little "chain slap" when I switch gears... and I don't doubt I either need a new clutch or adjustment, its been rough especially between 1, 2 and neutral.. I'm going investigate your suggestion this evening and hopefully I'll have more.

Thanks for the input

Comment

also to add, I can definitely feel it go into gear... without any unusual effort..

Comment

The clutch adjustment will only affect the disengagement, and that is not your problem. I would remove countershaft sprocket cover (only a few screws) and see if the gear is on the shaft.

If it is, and it looks good, then you need to move the the clutch assembly. Remove the clutch cover. The driven part of the clutch mates with the crankshaft and should always turn when you rotate the crankshaft. What you need to see is if the clutch plates are engaged and driving the transmission input shaft. If they are, and the output shaft is not turning, then the transmission is not functioning properly.

Should take you maybe 1 hour do check this out.

P.S. Drain the oil first.

Comment

I noticed in another thread you said you changed handlebars. When putting the clutch perch back on, did you check the cable?I'm wondering if somehow the cable sleeve is hung up on the knurled adjustment knob at the perch, not allowing the clutch to fully engage (if at all).
            Put it up on the centerstand, start it up and put it in gear, clutch IN. Does the rear tire rotate? Let the clutch OUT. Now? Faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              The clutch adjustment will only affect the disengagement, and that is not your problem. I would remove countershaft sprocket cover (only a few screws) and see if the gear is on the shaft.

If it is, and it looks good, then you need to move the the clutch assembly. Remove the clutch cover. The driven part of the clutch mates with the crankshaft and should always turn when you rotate the crankshaft. What you need to see is if the clutch plates are engaged and driving the transmission input shaft. If they are, and the output shaft is not turning, then the transmission is not functioning properly.

Should take you maybe 1 hour do check this out.

P.S. Drain the oil first.
              which cover is this on the engine where at on it?

thanks

Comment

It's the cover your left foot sits next to, the chain goes behind it.

Comment

When your clutch is fully engaged, can you feel and play in the clutch lever? There should be a little bit of 'slop' before your feel any pressure when you pull in the clutch lever.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                    I had my countershaft sprocket come off once, and that's what it did. Is your chain loose? Can you feel it go into gear? It's possible your clutch could be way out of adjustment. Changing your oil, while a good thing to do, won't fix the problem.
                    I STRIPPED ALL the splines off of the output shaft of my GT250. Thought I gernaded the tranny 'cause it happened while I was shifting at full throttle! Fixed it at 1 a.m. on the tailgate of my truck, as I had no workbench at the time. Anyhow, it's probably not that major. I tend to agree with the other guys, it's probably clutch adjustment or at the most, a countershaft sprocket that's "not where it should be" 8)
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                    X