Removing master cylinder reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing master cylinder reservoir

Trying to remove an old reservoir and can't seem to figure out how to get it off without breaking it. I removed the screw but can't figure out how the reservoir is attached the the assembly. Is it threaded? Do I have to pry it off?

Thanks
    Brett

Brett, after you have removed the two internal screws you need to twist the white plastic reservoir to break the seal with the aluminium body. There is a large "O" ring in place which sets solid and takes some pressure to separate the two parts. Just grab the plastic part and twist like hell. It will come apart. Don't forget to replace the "O" ring when reassemblying.

Comment

You need to twist it off (it's not threaded). It's usually a struggle if it's been on there some time though. You can very gently try prying it as well but beware that lip is very easy to damage,
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Don't remove it unless you plan on replacing it.! It is normally a press fit by hand.. Years of corrosion have taken it's toll. so It will be stubbern

Comment

as lynn said. for the square reservoirs you can get an aftermarket replacement at z1. have a look if they stock the round ones, then go for it, it's just a push-fit type.
          GS850GT

Comment

Thanks all, I'll give it a try, hopefully won't break it.

Comment

DITTO...Just remove the two in ternal screws and twist and pull like hell..and just a little trick here.. some toothpaste and a small round white buffer wheel for your dremmel will clean a lot of that white scally crap, off the plastic..just remember to take it easy and dip it in some water often enough to keep the plastic cool. Dremmel will heat it up and could possibly melt the plastic as well.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You wont break it. Give it a clean out inside and replace the "O" ring and it will be fine to reuse. No need to buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                X