skips 1150 is too young to smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skips 1150 is too young to smoke!

Myy 1150 just started smoking and i am pi$$ed! I took a couple of long trips and the last one, I came back from Penn.(230 miles)in 85 degree weather at 85 mph (6000rpm) when i got too CT. i got stuck in traffic for twenty min that was movin about ten mph when I got home it was smokin. Its is oil, but I dont know wich cyl yet. The motor is not even 1 year old yet! it was completlley rebuilt last sumer and was never even started to this past october. there is less than 3000 miles on it. Before I had it rebuilt it it had 10 years of abuse and over 15000 miles plus about fifty runs on nitrous and never burnt a drop of oil. Now i take it easy its only been run hard a handful of times and has never seen nitrous since the rebuild and it is smokin aghhhh!! It does not smoke when i start it but after it gets warm ( about ten minutes) it starts to smoke. it smokes at all rpms. I hope its just rings because if it is anthing else I quit. last years rebuild plus this years tires chain sprockets and fork seals plus brakes has me past what I can justify spending. It may be time for a goldwing or somthing else...any body have any thoughts?

Aw skip, Man, what bad luck.
    Can you shake the curse or what?
    Got your PM and just about tore my heart out. 8O :x
    1st the camper and now the GS 8O :x :x
    I hope it is only something as simple as rings. Bad luck comes and goes. Here's hoping yours is leaving.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Okay...no loud bangs or clattering, right? Do a compression test or, even better, a leak-down test and see if it is the rings or a valve seal. If it is not clattering I think you will find something easy to fix, possibly a stuck oil ring. Who did the rebuild?

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
        Okay...no loud bangs or clattering, right? Do a compression test or, even better, a leak-down test and see if it is the rings or a valve seal. If it is not clattering I think you will find something easy to fix, possibly a stuck oil ring. Who did the rebuild?

Hap
        star racing did the rebuild and it may not be the valve seals because it does not smoke whe i first start it.In the past when the seals were worn it would. It only smokes when it warms up and then it smokes more than i would like. There is no banging ticking or piston slap noise that is any thing new since i got it back from the rebuild. the oil temp gauge when i got it hot only went up to about 215 in the traffic . I was watching it closly. if i have a stuck or worn oil ring but the compression rings are still good will the cylinder still show a drop in compression?

Comment

go ride it more...see if you can work it out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
            star racing did the rebuild and it may not be the valve seals because it does not smoke whe i first start it.In the past when the seals were worn it would. It only smokes when it warms up and then it smokes more than i would like. There is no banging ticking or piston slap noise that is any thing new since i got it back from the rebuild. the oil temp gauge when i got it hot only went up to about 215 in the traffic . I was watching it closly. if i have a stuck or worn oil ring but the compression rings are still good will the cylinder still show a drop in compression?
            Hmmmmmmm....Star has a great rep...I was concerned that there may have been a problem in the assembly but now I doubt it. You should still get decent compression if the compression rings are in good shape. While I hate the possibility of it there is an outside chance of a crack in the top of one of the pistons but that is out there...did you see a loss of performance?

The two ways for oil to get into the combustion chamber (short of a massive component failure) is past the oil rings or past the valve seals. I would lean towards a stuck or damaged oil ring. If the spring between the two oil rings has been damaged or worked itself loose you would see what you are seeing now. Don't try to ride it out...you may cause cylinder wall damage. Pull the top end and do an inspection. Mic everything before you put it back together to insure that nothing is out of round.

Hap

Comment

I agree with Hap on this one. It's best to pull the top end and do an inspection - sooner rather than later. But first run the compression test.

Pulling in oil like that has to be either the valve seals, or oil control rings, or ... - I hate to say it, a scored cylinder - and you will detect that with a compression test.

Good luck.

Comment

Skip, you say that the engine is completely rebuilt. What break-in procedure did you use? I?m just curious about what oil you broke it in with and when you changed it and into what?
                If it only smokes during warm-up, it sounds to me that the sealing capabilities of the oil is poor. The piston - cylinder clearance is quite large since the engine is just air-cooled and it takes a while for the piston to "grow" into size during warm-up.

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
                  Skip, you say that the engine is completely rebuilt. What break-in procedure did you use? I?m just curious about what oil you broke it in with and when you changed it and into what?
                  If it only smokes during warm-up, it sounds to me that the sealing capabilities of the oil is poor. The piston - cylinder clearance is quite large since the engine is just air-cooled and it takes a while for the piston to "grow" into size during warm-up.
                  it only smokes after its warmed up it does not smoke when it is cold (at least it didnt the last tim e i started it) i useb 10- 40 ran about 500 miles changed it ran about 500 and changes it again. I used castol syntek the first time ( part synthetic oil) second change was castrol 10- 40 regular oil. I did what they at star racing said to do wich was take it easy for about 50 miles no steady rpm no crazy rpm . after about 100 miles i started running it normal but no crazy rpm after 200 miles i cranked up. I got a e-mail from star racing and they think it may be a valve guide ( He said thery dont held up well in heat ) ill take it apart after the compression test next weekend and post what i find.......skip

Comment

try thicker oil maybe, straight weight oil ?

hmm

Comment

Originally posted by fast68
                      try thicker oil maybe, straight weight oil ?

hmm
                      I put straight weight 30 in it and it still smoked after it was warm. im gonna bite the bullet tear it apart, wine and cry alot then fix it like i always do but a new bike is definitly in my future

Comment

No no no, don?t you go cheating on the rest of us GS:ers SKIP!!!
                        You have, once in your past, made a decision. There is no easy way to get out of it....... What would you find in a new bike? That isn`t like a sowing-machine?...
                        So you have to tear your engine apart again? FINE, just do it and stop wining Skip. The problem is temporary until you find the problem and then it will be solved by any means necesarry. What I mean is don?t throw the towel Skip,
                        The smoke, does it appear at any load or at engine-break/ gearchange?

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
                          No no no, don?t you go cheating on the rest of us GS:ers SKIP!!!
                          You have, once in your past, made a decision. There is no easy way to get out of it....... What would you find in a new bike? That isn`t like a sowing-machine?...
                          So you have to tear your engine apart again? FINE, just do it and stop wining Skip. The problem is temporary until you find the problem and then it will be solved by any means necesarry. What I mean is don?t throw the towel Skip,
                          The smoke, does it appear at any load or at engine-break/ gearchange?
                          I love to wine and cry. The old gs has pulled off some amazing feats in its day and recently too. ill fix it and ill probably keep it too. after 18 years it is like a family member with a lot of good memories. but i sure would like to have another bike to ride when ther gs is down. oh yea the smoke appears after it warms up and smokes in porportion to the rpm

Comment

I know what you mean. Its why I keep the 7 and the 11 both. I can work on one taking my time and still have something to ride.

Earl

[quote="skip["]
                            I love to wine and cry. but i sure would like to have another bike to ride when ther gs is down.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                            X