Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First start in over 7 months

hi guys,

going to hopefully have the bike running again this weekend after it being in bits for the past several months. It has been up on a bench most of this time and the engine has not been turned over, apart from when I did so by hand doing the valve clearances a few months back.

Carbs have been stripped, cleaned and parts re-anodized and now look a million bucks Also a few other maintenance things and a bit of a tidy up.

My question is, After a standing period of this time, do I need to do anything special before I crank her over? i.e. put a few squirts of oil somewhere etc.? or will it be fine?

AS my only bike, needless to say I have serious withdrawls and just want to ride the bloody thing!

cheers

Always worth pulling the clutch cover & seperating the plates then sticking a little clean oil on them before putting the whole lot back together, the reason for this as ive just found out to my cost is that the plates can shear the friction material off if they are stuck, this is especially true of cheaper (non stock) plates

Having said that ive just fired up loads of bikes after a long lay up without problems but this time it cost me a new clutch so wont be doing that again as its only half an hours work to save a big bunch of cash

tone
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2010, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks tone - i'll have a bit of a look at them before I turn it over

Comment

Another good idea is to pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the starter a couple of times. This will get the oil flowing to the important areas before you fire it up.

Comment

Thanks GSJim, will do that as well What does taking the plugs out do that tuirning it over with the kill switch on or removing the plug caps doesn't? Still learning here

Comment

well if you pull the plugs yu can put a squirt some penetrating oil to kinda coat the dry cylinder walls. Also with the plugs out you can crank the motor with less compression to move some oil around internally,check the plugs for spark..things like that.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X