cam chain, slack click when rev from low idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain, slack click when rev from low idle

GS450L use cam chain right ? one or two? how many sprockets and where at on engine and how is chain routed, how to adjust ? im very mechanically inclined, what do you have to remove to check the chain out and what oes it require as far as gaskets or oil or anything ?

the chain i can her it make click and catch at real low idle when i rev it up snappy once,
    this would be cam chain slack, correct ?

thanks for anything

Re: cam chain, slack click when rev from low idle

Originally posted by fast68
    GS450L use cam chain right ? one or two? how many sprockets and where at on engine and how is chain routed, how to adjust ? im very mechanically inclined, what do you have to remove to check the chain out and what does it require as far as gaskets or oil or anything ?

the chain i can her it make click and catch at real low idle when i rev it up snappy once,

thanks for anything
    1 camchain single row.

3 sprockets 1 on the crankshaft and 1 on each cam.

camchain lives between the 2 cilinders.

camchain is automatically adjusted by the tensioner at the back of the cilinders.

to check the camchain you have to remove the valvecover and maybe replace the valvecovergasket, to take it out of the engine the cases have to be split.

sounds like the camchain indeed, maybe the clutchbasket, does it also make the sound when you hold in the clutch?

If any of the local experts think I'm wrong or incomplete in any of my answers please feel free to correct me.

Comment

The only thing I have to add is that the chain can be replaced by breaking the old, connecting the new and feeding it through.
      I'd check the tensioner first. Best thing to do is get the service manual.

Comment

cool thanks, yes it does it with clutch pulled, thats the only way ive checked for the chain clunk

do i have to split the engine case no matter what to check the chain ?
        if not then what do i remove to just inspect the chain ?

thanks

Comment

Oh God no! To inspect the chain, and even replace it, all you need to do is remove the valve cover. Actually, to replace it, you have to remove the carbs so you can geto to and remove the tensioner.
          The chain should have a certain number of link per specific length of chain. The service manual should explain it. This way you can tell if it's stretched. For instance, my chain would have to be replaced if the length between 21 pins exceeds 157.8mm.

Comment

there are differant opinions about replacing the camchain, the "right"way to do it involves splitting the cases to replace it. The other method involves a camchain with an open master link and is much easier but is a little risky in my opinion.

Anyhow I'd first check if the tensioner isn't stuck.

Comment

Sometimes worn pistons can produce a clicking noise very similar to cam chain rattle. It happened on my 1168 motor, using the throttle from low revs made the wiggling pistons sound like a loose cam chain...

Comment

neat stuff,

this isnt clicking or anything liek that, this is a clunk! from the low/mid engine level when you quick rev it from a steady low low idle speed in neutral or clutcch handle pulled.

why and how could or would a cam chain be worn slacked at 22,000 miles all original stock ?
                adjuster stuck or broken ? what all parts are in there for the chain system and does anyoen know of a pic of this system ?

i need to get a clymers, clymers has the cam chain stuff in it right?

thanks

Comment

Re: cam chain, slack click when rev from low idle

Originally posted by fast68
                  GS450L use cam chain right ? one or two? how many sprockets and where at on engine and how is chain routed, how to adjust ? im very mechanically inclined, what do you have to remove to check the chain out and what oes it require as far as gaskets or oil or anything ?

thanks for anything
                  ok i listedned to it carefully jus5t now and it sounds most like its coming from right hand side low engine case the big cover on side next to rear brake foot lever

if you rev it up once real snappy from a low idle speed then you can hear something take up slack and go clunk!
                  but not that horrible, more like a deep thick metal thunk or something, hmm.. other wise fine and quiet runner otherwise overall.

no leaks no oil useage or smoking or anything like that

thanks

Comment

right side by your foot is the clutch area...i've heard of peopling having stuff loosen up in the clutch.

you can drain your oil then take the clutch cover off and visually ispect things. see if things are loose.

if worse comes to worse...does the bike engine run fine with noise? if so, put fresh oil in it, and RIDE!

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                      right side by your foot is the clutch area...i've heard of peopling having stuff loosen up in the clutch.

you can drain your oil then take the clutch cover off and visually ispect things. see if things are loose.

if worse comes to worse...does the bike engine run fine with noise? if so, put fresh oil in it, and RIDE!

~Adam
                      dude it runs PERFECT, hauls ass and whole nine yards, the noise hasnt caused s ingle evne tiny lick of problem, you can rail the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of it in gear load it as hard as you want and it will GO ! damn good for just an old L series two cylinder 4 cycle 450 bike, i relaly like it,

so hmm.....
                      dunno...

anything i should worry about ? what happens if clutch breaks or comes apart or something ? why the slack noise i am hearing ?

if you try to listen fo rit on left hand side it sounds liek its coming form upper front of engnie by the left pipe at the cylinder head..

thought maybe valve or two out of adjustment, but dunno how could make thunk sound .

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X