1100E turn signal upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E turn signal upgrade

I have a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E that I have changed all four turn signals on, I am using the Drag Specialties “Eagle Eye” signals part# 2020-0016.
    http://www.jpmotorsports.net/eshoppr...LE_EYE_MAR.htm
    These turn signals are single filament 12 volt 6 watt halogen bulb type and now my signals do not flash, I know that they flash with the original signals and now the current draw and system resistance has changed so, my question now is, does anyone know what I need to add or change? Do I need a totally new type of flasher relay? Or, do I need a ballast resistor or stabilizer? If yes can you please let me know what it is that I need to order to make these signals work.
    Just as added information, all of the remaining lights, switches and electrical components are original. These turn signals are also the same as the EMGO “Rabbit Ears” part# 61-66211.
    http://emgo.com/updates/'06%20SEPT%20OCT.pdf

Just to clarify, these lights are NOT the LED type signals.

I'm also curious because on some websites they list these as "marker lights" whereas other sites AND the accessory shop I bought them from list them as "turn signals."

I've sent out e-mails to Drag Specialties and other vendors but so far no-reply.
    http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

blinking

I had a similar problem with lights from a PO and the solution was to change the turn signal relay to one of more modern design. I can't tell you anything other than it was in a box of parts and was new. I tried it and it worked.

Comment

The easiest and least expensive thing you can try is a heavy duty auto flasher. The little round silver one, like under your dash. Pick one up at your local Kragen, Napa, or whatever for just a few bucks. If it works, use a zip tie to mount it right where your old flasher was.

Worked on my red hotrod

Comment

Hi,

The stock GS turn signal relay wants to see 4 bulbs @ 12v/23w for proper operation. The 6w bulbs are not pulling enough juice. I've read here where some riders have put cheap 2-prong blinker relays in the existing socket and it works fine. Sorry, I don't have a part number for you.

You're welcome to read about my turn signal relay replacement on my website. I've got part numbers and pictures. Note that going away from the stock turn signal relay will probably disable your turn signal auto-cancel feature, if your bike has it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

The stock GS turn signal relay wants to see 4 bulbs @ 12v/23w for proper operation. The 6w bulbs are not pulling enough juice. BassCliff
          Cliff I'm sure the reason they did this was to have a safety fail when one bulb goes out the other quits which makes the rider aware.

Soif you go more modern, make sure you have it wired so if a bulb burns out it fails to blink.

Comment

A two prong electronic flasher should fix you right up. I think they're about $7 at any auto parts store.

If the counter person looks at you blankly and then tries to look it up on their computer, find someone else to help you. Look for someone with a bit of improvisational experience -- the gray bearded old-timer, or the Mexican hot-rodder dude.

They're listed as "marker lights" if they're not officially US DOT approved turn signals. Most people don't give a crap about obscure gubmint regulations, although some states can get sticky about it. In many states, there are no inspections and/or turn signals aren't required (In Indiana, you're supposed to use hand signals if you have no turn signals.).
            Last edited by bwringer; 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I appreciate all of the help on this one, I have found that Dennis Kirk sells the electronic flashers for 9 or 10 dollars.
              According to the wiring diagram this bike uses the three prong flasher so I'll most likely be ordering that today.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Does the 1100E have the self-canceling turn signals?

On the shafties, the flasher hookup has three wires, and the relay is a special type that works with the self-canceling system. If the relay goes flooey, you can install a generic two prong flasher (you may have to experiment with the wires) and ride happy with "regular" non-canceling turn signals.

Does the 1100E work the same way?
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Does the 1100E have the self-canceling turn signals?

On the shafties, the flasher hookup has three wires, and the relay is a special type that works with the self-canceling system. If the relay goes flooey, you can install a generic two prong flasher (you may have to experiment with the wires) and ride happy with "regular" non-canceling turn signals.

Does the 1100E work the same way?
                  Yep! you are correct the 1100E works the same way.
                  As you said in your other post, in Texas you are supposed to use hand signals if you do not have turn signals or they fail to operate. Funny thing, when I was sixteen I went down to get my drivers license and motorcycle license at the same time, the car went fine but when it came to the motorcycle the turn signals and brake light decided to not work so I had to use the old hand signals, boy did that suck but I passed so I guess thats all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                    According to the wiring diagram this bike uses the three prong flasher so I'll most likely be ordering that today.
                    I have a feeling you will be disappointed if you do.

Most of the three prong flashers you find in the store will have the third prong connected to a ground. On the bikes, that third prong is connected to the turn signal control unit. When the stock flasher receives a signal on that prong, it turns on and starts flashing. The flasher you buy at Auto Zone won't have a clue what to do with that "turn ON" signal.

Just get the heavy-duty two prong unit mentioned above or get one of the two prong electronic flashers (a little more money, though) and connect it to the two terminals that have the Black/Blue wire and the Orange/Green wire. The Light Blue wire comes from the control unit, so don't use it.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I have a feeling you will be disappointed if you do.

Just get the heavy-duty two prong unit mentioned above or get one of the two prong electronic flashers (a little more money, though) and connect it to the two terminals that have the Black/Blue wire and the Orange/Green wire. The Light Blue wire comes from the control unit, so don't use it.

Update!
                      I ordered the two terminal flasher relay and it works great. Ordered it from Dennis Kirk, made by K&S, drop in replacement.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Comment

Schweeeeet!

I just love a happy ending!

And thanks for coming back to this thread to report. Future GS-ers will thank you.
                        Eat more venison.

Comment

I've got a couple more things to do to it but next time I'll post some pictures to show how I adapted the new signals.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X