carb cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb cleaner

Anyone pouring those "carb cleaner additives" like STP into thier tank and do they work?

Sea Foam. Get it at Napa. I add half a can before a fill-up, every thousand miles or so.
    Right before I do an oil change, I do "The Treatment". Get the bike good and warm, shut it down, take the plugs out and squirt Sea Foam in each cylinder. Let it sit for a minute, then put the bike in 5th and roll it around the garage to get the excess out (very important to do this before replacing the plugs to avoid hydrolocking it) and coat the valves. After 5-10 minutes, replace the plugs, fire it up and proceed to fumigate the neighborhood with thick grey smoke for about 5 minutes.

Comment

Sea Foam additives.....

I put a 1/4 can of sea foam carb, injector, gas additive in my 1980 GS1000G a little over a year ago......Made me wish I'ld never done it.....Broke up so much carbon build up away from internal parts, I had carb problems.....I took them off and apart 2 times before it would even run decent and I still have a problem at 5000 RPM and over......Just doesn't want to perform like it should.....I've kinda learned to live with it for now until I have the $ and time to tear it down and do something about it.....I will say, it definitly slowed me down at bit, probably a good thing..... :roll:

Comment

Re: carb cleaner

I know some use them and apparently like them, but I have never had any luck with gas additives of any type and they frequently only cause more problems. I no longer will put anything in my gas tank other than gas.

Earl

Originally posted by bostrom155
        Anyone pouring those "carb cleaner additives" like STP into thier tank and do they work?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sea Foam. Get it at Napa. I add half a can before a fill-up, every thousand miles or so.
          Right before I do an oil change, I do "The Treatment". Get the bike good and warm, shut it down, take the plugs out and squirt Sea Foam in each cylinder. Let it sit for a minute, then put the bike in 5th and roll it around the garage to get the excess out (very important to do this before replacing the plugs to avoid hydrolocking it) and coat the valves. After 5-10 minutes, replace the plugs, fire it up and proceed to fumigate the neighborhood with thick grey smoke for about 5 minutes.
          With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. ( If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
          Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
          Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
          Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
          My concerns are hydrolock or something similar...

Any thoughts?

Comment

Seafoam is intended to be used in your gas or in your oil. It is a petroleum product and doesn't require the oil be changed after application. WHERE you pour it in will dictate what inside the engine gets cleaned. If you want to clean your fuel system (carbs), use Seabreeze which is a an aerosol product by the same company. It is easy to spray into your carbs while the bike is running and will clean the carbs a bit. It is NOT an ether based carb cleaner but is also an oil distillate. I wouldn't bother POUR Seafoam into vacuum ports as this would be kind of a pain. Use Seabreeze instead. Pouring Seafoam into vaccum ports will not clean the carbs but will get the stuff into your combustion chambers... same place as pouring it into the gas tank.

Comment

If you need a carb cleaner be sure to use STP (recomendation from all chemists). I don't now whats missing in the other brands but STP is the far (and only) best in the market. It may build up some carbon depostits though. It depends on the problem if its woth it. If the jets are clogged after e.i. storing I would do it. The carbon deposits are usually not a very big problem and I usually only have to clean the pluggs. Another way to clean carbondeposits is to spray a thin water aerosol in the air intake of each carb with the engine running. The engine doesn't sound very helthy during this water procedure and may backfire in protest, but it will clean all carbon deposits. The result is clean carbs and clean cylinder.

Comment

Best thing Ive found so far to use is Chevron FUEL Injector cleaner with Techron. In the Spring I use it a little stronger than directed and use it every other tank full till the bottle is gone.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies...
                  What I was thinking of doing was attaching lines to my vacum ports used for carb synching, then using the same lines to introduce the seafoam into the engine as described in the directions on the bottle, using the vacum to suck the seafoam into the cylinders in equal amounts. Then stopping the enging for 5 minutes, etc. I guess i could use the areosol version and do the same thing by injecting it directly ito the ports, but with the caps off the adapters, the bike obivously runs crappy. I want to clean the valaves up a little prior to doing the adjustments this winter. My concern is hydrolocking the engine, as I don't know if this procedure would possibly cause something like that. What caused me concern was this post..
                  Let it sit for a minute, then put the bike in 5th and roll it around the garage to get the excess out (very important to do this before replacing the plugs to avoid hydrolocking it) and coat the valves
                  Thanks agian everyone...this fourm has saved me many times in my quest to become, well, at least qualified to work on my bikes in a semi-knowledgeable manner..

Comment

I also use the Chevron fuel injector cleaner and have never had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X