How do I break the tire bead before it breaks me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I break the tire bead before it breaks me

OK, so this isn't for my GS - rather it's for my 1984 Toro lawn tractor ......but at least it's a machine from the same time period as our GS's.

About 3 weeks ago my son asked if he could make some money by cutting the lawn. Soon he returns, saying both tires on one side of the lawn tractor had rapidly deflated. I discover that he, while happily listening to some tunes on his headphones, had ripped holes in the sidewalls of the left front and rear tires by scraping them against a bolt in a gate.

To cut a long story short, I now have new tires in hand, together with some tire irons. My son and I are ready to remove the old tubeless skins and install the new. No problem......or so we thought. :roll: We have just spent over a hour failing to remove the rear tire from the steel, one-piece wheel. All our efforts to break the bead from the wheel have come to nought.........well, not quite nought since I am convinced that the old tire sneered and jeered at our fruitless efforts.

Starting with a simple-minded, heave-ho at the bead with a tire iron, we progressed through a succession of ever-more-complex jury rigs, culminating with both of us furiously jumping up and down on 2-by-4's leveraged under a garden fence rail. All to no avail, as the 20 year-old tires seem welded to the 20 year-old wheels.

So this is my question: is there some straightforward, foolproof method for breaking the bead that can be mastered even by simpletons and clueless dolts such as my son and myself? I have spent about $100 on 3 tires and tire irons (don't ask about the third tire :x ) and would like to avoid spending more on an expensive bead breaker. After all, my GS is far more deserving, with acceleration and handling far outmatching the tractor and its swinish wheels. Your wise advice will be much appreciated, as round 2 of this unequal struggle is scheduled to recommence tomorrow. 8O

Run it over with the car...... seriously.

The bead I mean.

Comment

If I could only persuade my troublemaking son to hold the tire while doing so. :twisted:

Jeckler, many thanks for the idea......I will think about it. However, I am concerned that the sidewall will just collapse in without breaking the bead loose, just as happened when my son and I were doing synchronized trampoline maneuvers on the aforesaid 2-by-4's. I need to figure out how to hold the thing exerting pressure against the bead without it sliding down the tire wall. I had roped the 2-by-4's together for this purpose but it didn't work effectively.......perhaps, I should nail them together with cross pieces.

Comment

Simon,
        Apply a generous coat of soapy water and work your way around the tire pushing the bead away from the rim. As you get a gap between the tire and the rim use some more soapy water. It will eventually cooperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          Simon,
          Apply a generous coat of soapy water and work your way around the tire pushing the bead away from the rim. As you get a gap between the tire and the rim use some more soapy water. It will eventually cooperate.
          Billy, that's a good thought. I had bought a new bottle of Joy dishwashing liquid (a singularly inappropriate name, given our failure ) for the purpose of easing on the new tires......I hadn't thought about using it on the old ones.

Comment

Lay the 2x4 on the bead like a ramp, then drive the car up on it. Put the wheel against something so it can't slide away.

Comment

Thanks, Andy. I will see what I can work out with your idea.......I know that my son won't be driving the car up the ramped 2-by-4, though. 8O

Comment

Simon,
                Here's a link with some ideas. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html I personally use one of the principles learned from this site using a small hydralic bottle jack, some wood blocks and a steel frame from an old weight bench to break the beads. Similiar to the method shown using the Press. (cursor down the page) Another method I used successfully in years past. http://www.micapeak.com/WetLeather/pages/tiremount.html
                With either method use dishwasher soap like Billy suggested and believe it or not I've even used the Jeckler method. 8O
                Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                  ... and believe it or not I've even used the Jeckler method. 8O
                  Good Luck.
                  Patent Pending, use only under adult supervision. Some assembly required. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the Internet.

Comment

First, I would try lots of soapy water like Billy said.
                    If that does'nt work, I would use a hack saw to cut through most of it and finish with tin/metal snips.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I usually use a garden spade to break the bead on bike tyres. Make sure that the wheel is stable (a couple of blocks of wood underneath), put the spade on the beading just in from the rim of the wheel and jump on the spade. You may need someone to hold the tyre and wheel. Obviously I cannot be held responsible for any injuries resulting from this method.

Comment

Personally, I like using the car to do the work, after soaping it down.

Only difference is that I have used a 4 x 4 or larger as it takes the weight better.

Just block the wheel in place against some other pieces and an immovable object such as a wall or curb. You need enough distance to clear your car bumper. Put the end of the 4x4 against the edge of the rim, and drive straight up. That puts all the weight on a small area and forces the bead to drop.

If the bead doesn't drop right away, leave the car there and have a coffee. It will likely drop by the time you get back.

If the tire is to be scrapped, an old screw-type jack works well....punch a hole through both sides of the tire, put the lift jaw on in reverse and screw it down.

While the pressure is on, whether using the jack or car, you can use a block of wood against the bead and drive it down with a HAMMER.
                        ...note ...that does not mean the 16 or 20 ounce claw you have in the house, but a club hammer of at least 2 1/2 pounds....4 lb is better.

Of course, there is another alternative to consider...
                        Since it has swiny wheels, why not rub it with bacon rind, massage it gently, while playing some soft background music, and seduce it off the rim? :roll:
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                          Of course, there is another alternative to consider...
                          Since it has swiny wheels, why not rub it with bacon rind, massage it gently, while playing some soft background music, and seduce it off the rim? :roll:
                          *shudder*

Comment

you can also use a crowbar to unseat the bead, how do you plan to seat the new tire bead? or is it a tube type ?Put on your safety gear of choice, nomex,goggles, thong or whatever and after making sure your valve stem is in place,(and junebug's in the house) using a flammable aerosol, give a shot around inside diameter of tire, then stand back, ignite the aerosol from can while pointing at tire, hopefully if you have enough in the tire, it will explode and blow the bead onto the upright side, you may have to do this once for each side, works good though as long as you don't do it in dry grass.....

Comment

I havent tried this, but if normal measure failed, I would get out the propane torch and heat the bead to almost melting and see if I could get it started breaking away with a hammer and coal chisel. (propane torch cant get the steel hot enough to do any damage to it other than burning off the paint)

Earl
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X