79 GS1000E Starter Bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000E Starter Bypass

I've read a ton of threads about how to bypass the clutch safety on my bike. They say follow the wires from the clutch to the head light harness and wire them together. But, I'm confused. If I pull them out of the harness and wire them together, isn't that the same thing? Or, do I need to connect it to another wire to bypass it?

I can jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver and the starter turns.

When I pull in the clutch and use the starter button, nothing.

I put a test light on the start button (Yellow/Green) and when I hit the start button, the test light comes on.

That leads me to believe that the clutch safety is the problem.

The bike is partially disassembled. I have the wiring harness laying on top of the bike with the connections made. I have a green light lit for the neutral light on the gauges. I also have the oil pressure light lit on the gauges.

Well you actually don't pull anything out. The clutch safety bypass switch is normally bypassed in the headlight shell. Most people bypass (disconnect the harness terminals) it there and then connect the two bullet terminals together which make a direct connection & bypasses the clutch safety switch. I believe one is G/Y
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

If you get power at the yellow/green wire without pulling on the clutch lever, it's already bypassed.

When you push the button and the light comes on, do you hear a "click" from the solenoid? You should. If not, it's probably a bad solenoid.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, I found the problem. Tried to take the positive off the solenoid and sheered the whole post off. Cracked the solenoid plastic in half. Going to Menards tomorrow to get a new one. Or somewhere else that's open when I get off work at 7am.

I have to replace the positive wires too. Way to rusty and corroded.

Thanks for letting me know it's already bypassed. 1 less thing to worry about. I'll post tomorrow night if I get a new one and get it started. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

When you go to Menard's, go to the lawn mower section to look for the solenoid.

Just about exactly the same size, should do you well.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X