1982 gs550 katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550 katana

hey i just bought a 1982 gs550 katana the bike sat outside all winter i got it home and cleaned the tank out and put fresh gas through it, after doing that i charged the battery, checked the plugs(they were like new), checked all the wires, checked all the fluids etc. when i went to start the bike up it just cranked and cranked so i grounded one of the plugs and it has weak spark? it doesnt even attempt to start it doesnt backfire, nothing!!! i played around with small stuff for two days fidling with everything i could think of to get it going and still nothing does anyone has any suggestions on why the bike would have weak spark??? if the ignition coils were bad wouldnt it have no spark at all?? please i need some advice on what i should try thats not guna kill my wallet. thanks in advance

Carbs been cleaned?

Comment

ya supposedly the carbs were stripped and cleaned roughly 3 weeks before i bought the bike

Comment

You don't say where you live, but if the battery froze chances are its probably done. Try a car battery or get a new motorcycle battery and see if your spark improves.

Comment

i live in ontario canada and its possible the battery could have froze even tho so far its only gotten down to about -15 degrees celcius but i took the battery inside when i got the bike and charged it fully and it held a charge and still turns the bike over fairly well. could the battery still be the cause of weak spark even tho it holds a full charge? also the battery still had a bit of juice when i got the bike just enough to make the lights and gauges work tho not enough to turn the bike over

Comment

The battery can show good voltage at rest but fail under load. How old is the battery? I would replace it if its more than 3-4 yrs old anyway.

Measure your voltage at the coils with the key on and see what you get. Crank the engine over and measure the voltage.

Comment

where abouts in Ontario are you? so has it I have a similar sort of bike, and I wouldn't mind taking a look if you need a hand.

I tend to get around Ontario

Comment

i live in st thomas and thanks for everyones help i got the bike running this morning

Comment

Working...
                X