Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireing Harness rebuild?

Hello all,
    I have a 1980 1100ET and am looking for a new wireing harness or a kit that will allow me to rebuild the existing one. I also would like a better electical diagram if anyone has it. Most important I need to know if anyone has had to rebuild there harness and if so could you or they give me a little info. on the proceedure.

Thanks
    Greg

I don't know about 'rebuild' but you can certainly repair the existing, unless it's all burnt up.Remove the outer wrapping of tape, so you can access the actual wires. Make sure to use wire of at least the same size as you're replacing, if not, go bigger. Solder your splices and use heat-shrink wrap for a water-resistant seal. Labeling where each wire was attached is a good idea too, I use white electrical tape and write on it with a pen. The crimp ends assortment (a good idea to solder these also) can be found at Radioshack or a radio/electronics supply house. When you're done re-wrap the whole deal in Scotch Brand '33' electrical tape for that 'Pro' look. Helpful hint, leave the wires long and unterminated until you install the harness on the bike, make sure you know where each wire goes,then figure out which type end you'll need and cut off excess wire

Comment

Why go through the headache? I just bought a new harness for my GS1000E 136 dollars and brand new. Now everything is finally working.

Comment

I wrote a lengthy how-to on this about six months ago ...but I don't recall what heading it was under. You might try the "search" feature for it.

The job is not really difficult, but it is time-consuming, and you MUST do it right.

For any part that has to be replaced, as Dave said, if in doubt as to wire size, go bigger.

ALL connections should be soldered, and a wonderful hint Jay B gave me was to use liquid electrical tape to seal out moisture. I took the additional precaution of placing tape on top of it.

Shake the can well before opening.

NOTE:
        You should use premium electrical tape throughout. NO cheap vinyl tape.

It is unlikely you will need to replace everything, and would be very expensive if you tried to get matching wire colours, as there are quite a few of them.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I don't know if it's better, but I made a easier to read diagram for my bike when I made my own wiring.
          Remember it's not a substitiute for the original diagram.
          I have a Honda regulator fitted, thus no extra wire through the light switch, I've omitted the parking light function in the ignition lock etc etc.

But, I think you'll get a good overview of how stuff is connected.
          Check my site under modifications / wiring.
          Oh yes, if you need any of the swedish designations explained just send me an email

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. I would like D. Jones to let me know where he got his harness. I would rather replace than repair mine. I have been looking for a site that has a harness for my 1980 1100ET but have not been able to find one. Untill then I am going to use the repair methods that you discribed but would like to know where do you fine liquid electral tape?

Thanks
            Greg

Comment

Liquid electrical tape?

You can get it at Wal-Mart (which is where I found it), , but it is probably available at other large stores.

I can also get it at a local Canadian Tire store.

If you ask about the stuff, you will likely get puzzled looks from store staff and then be directed to the electrical section, or automotive section. It isn't in either one. No one seems to know about it, but it is available in most Wal-mart stores. They may even have it in different colours.

Wal-mart has a area near the automotive section which is stocked with things for campers/trailers and it is kept there. Canadian Tire does the same. I don't understand the reasoning, but that is where you will find it.
              It is in a yellow can, held on a card witht he a puff-plastic overlay.

Made by Star- Brite, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
                Thanks for the good advice. I would like D. Jones to let me know where he got his harness. I would rather replace than repair mine. I have been looking for a site that has a harness for my 1980 1100ET but have not been able to find one. Untill then I am going to use the repair methods that you discribed but would like to know where do you fine liquid electral tape?

Thanks
                Greg
                Did we find out where we can get these? I was told that these are no longer stocked for my '82 GS1100GK.

Comment

Call 800-860-0686 for Tracys Parts and Accessories. The web site is www.worldofcycles.com but it I found it hard to find exactley what your looking for. I checked with them yesterday and they had a harness for my 1980 1100ET. Cost 153.17 including shipping.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X