Igniter box maybe? Newbee here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason,

Clean the carbs. If it sat for the better part of a year with gas in the carbs I'll guarantee you the jets are clogged. You don't have an ignition problem if 3&4 are firing.

Comment

I think this should be an easy way to quickly test out your coils. Just off the top of my head, have not tried this myself. Cylinders 1 and 4 fire off the same coil and 2 and 3 fire off the same coil. 1 and 4 fire at the same time as do 2 and 3, just on the opposite ends of the 4 stroke cycle.

Try swapping 2 and 3 plug leads and 1 and 4 plug leads. Now, if 1 and 2 cylinders start working and 3 and 4 are dead, then you know the problem is electrical and not fuel. If it still runs on 1 and 4, then this swap did not do a thing and so you can start thinking fuel problems.

Furthermore, it 1 and 2 do start working, then both coils would appear to be working. At this point I would check the plug leads themselves. Make sure that the clips in the plug caps are tight.

May not solve your problem, but at least may help to isolate the problem.

I just thought of this, and if I haven't thought it through all the way, then I am sure someone on this board will jump all over me and straighten me out.

Comment

There is another thing I forgot to mention. We tryd swiching wires to other cylinders and it would not run at all would not even sputter. I am guessing cause the timeing was like 180 degrese off. I am planing to pull off the carbs in the morning unless when I wake up there is a better suggestion here. Would high presure air "100psi" be ok to use to blow out jets and other parts in the carb and what not? I dont have any carb cleaner and will not be able to get any untill next week. Thanks for the help.

Comment

New info

Ok I tore off the carbs thismorning god those bowls were hidius. I cleand them all up and put everything back together but the same problem is still there but there is somthing new. I played with the bike with the air filter off and if I cover up the opening to the 1-2 carbs for a second with my hand then let go everything including cylinders 1-2-3-4 work like clock work for a minute. After that 1-2 cut out and it gose back to just 3-4 working any ideas? Also below is a picture of my bike as it was when I picked it up from my fathers house. It is much cleaner now. Sorry for the large picture my father took it in high resolution. Once agan I greatly apreciate all the help.

Comment

Re: New info

Your carbs are clogged. You have to dis-assemble them, removing all rubber and plastic parts, soak the carb bodies in a tub of parts cleaner overnight, air blow them out and dry, reassemble and reset to original adjustments as a starting point. (you did write down all the turns out and settings and keep the parts segregated that went to each carb didnt you? :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Jasonw24"]Ok I tore off the carbs thismorning god those bowls were hidius. I cleand them all up and put everything back together but the same problem is still there but there is somthing new.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The only real thing I took off the carbs was the bowls and jets. The jets were turned all the way in so it was not hard to put them back that way. I am not sure if they are supose to be but thats how they were

Comment

Well good news. After 3 carb cleanings it is finaly firing off of 4 cylinders. It is runing verry rough and I still have a long way to go but now it will run and mopve under its own power so thats good. Thank ou everyone for all the help.

Comment

I didnt see it in any of the previous posts, but my 650 had the same problems on 1 and 4, after some trouble shooting, it turned out that the intake boots from the carbs to the manifold were leaking and allowing too much air into the cylinder, I replaced the boots after 2 carb cleanings, and it hit on all 4 smoothly. also check the air filter.
                  Hope I helped you out,
                  Good luck
                  Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X