Blinkers dont work at high speeds!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinkers dont work at high speeds!!!!!

:? I know this is whacky but has anyone encountered this. 79 GS 850 signals work fine stopped (passed safety) and at slower speeds but as soon as I move into upper gears and higher sppeeds ...no signals Help if ya can.

Turn Signals

Take the stock flasher relay off your bike and throw it in the garbage. Go to Canadian Tire and by an electronic flasher relay, like the ones in the cars; the electronic ones are about $10 and the regulars are about $5. It will solve 99% of turn signal problems and it will work flawlessly all the time. Make sure you get one with the same amount of prongs as your original.

Andre 8O

Comment

Is it speed or engine speed that is the difference? I'd bet you it's the speed of the engine. When your alternator (stator) starts to go out, it loses juice at high RPMs. The flasher unit requires X amount of amperage or it just won't open, and the light just comes on and stays on. Any other ideas? Possibly a bad ground in the headlight bucket?

Comment

I had thought about mentioning the charging circuit also. But his problem is pretty bizzare, so I felt someone else could break the ice (thanks tbarnby). I would think that if it was a charging problem he would have noticed other symptoms, like his bike not starting. Try revving your bike in the garage to see if you can duplicate the problem. Hmmm.....that is a toughie.

Comment

OK, this may not be very likey... but what about a bad connection at the flasher relay? At high speed the wind may move the wire enough to lose connection. It's easy to check and fix, and wouldn't require money spent. But like I said, it's not the most likely problem.

By the way, I have the same fix, car relay for the flashers... works wonders.

Comment

Re: Blinkers dont work at high speeds!!!!!

Originally posted by jakes
            :? as soon as I move into upper gears and higher sppeeds ...no signals
            I guess this means no more high speed corners for you, Ol Buddy.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kkmiller
              :? as soon as I move into upper gears and higher sppeeds ...no signals
              I guess this means no more high speed corners for you, Ol Buddy.

Kim
              Or Ass grinding wheelies either!!

Comment

:? as soon as I move into upper gears and higher sppeeds
                Sounds like the motor has a stutter in the higher rev range as well. :-)

Kim

Comment

Working...
                X