Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are two fifty watts driving lights, too much!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are two fifty watts driving lights, too much!

I have seen alot of different bikes with driving lights on them. I said to myself I want some of those. So I went to Walmart, picked up a pair for $30. and did a make shift mount job on them. I hooked em up to the battery directly. I went for a two hour drive and noticed that it totally drained the battery. The question is, are those little battereis not capable of handling that extra voltage, from the lights. Or is it time to replace the battery and have everything working.
    like it should.
    Oh the bike is gs 1100 83.

You don't have 100 watts to spare with your electrical system. Just adding a higher wattage headlight bulb is risky. One of the drawbacks to these bikes.

Comment

I agree, the electrical system is not made for additional draw.
      I run a 90W/100W H4 bulb with a carello lens.
      I carry extra fuses at all times.
      I have replaced the stator already.
      Vibration seems to be the enemy.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

hm that is not good news. I am now torn, between, do I take them off or do I leave them on just for the looks. They sure did look cool going down the road.
        I wonder what watteage those bikes that do have light bars on them use?
        I never bothered to look into what they use.

Comment

The GS bikes charging system puts out about 250 watts of power. If you disconnected your headlight and replaced the 50 watt driving light bulbs with two 35 watt blubs you could probably get by.

Comment

I will give that a try, if I do suceed I will show pictures of how it is done. It does it give a neat look.
            thanks

Comment

Working...
            X