Shaft swingarm bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft swingarm bearing replacement

I have to replace the swingarm bearings in my 650 G and am not sure how to go about procedure. This is a tapered roller bearing, very much like the steering head bearings. I think that this arrangement is the same on all of the shaft drive bikes so hopefully someone can shed light on this.

On my bike, the cover over the bearing was missing and the bearing is rusting; I have already purchased Suzuki replacement bearings.

Has anyone replaced these bearings? Bearing removal is straightforward, loosen locknut, unscrew pivot bolt, remove bearing. After a quick search, I haven't been able to find too much info on removing the races on the swingarm, the manual calls for the use of a special tool, which of course I don't have. Not sure if a slide hammer (again, which I don't have) could be used to get behind race and yank it free. In another post, it was suggested that you could reuse the existing races without replacement, anyone want to confess this is true?

Likewise a special tool is used for installing new races, would an appropriate sized socket substitute for tool?

The service manual states that the frame to swingarm clearance should be even, I interpret this as equal clearance on both sides, is this correct thinking?

Finally, the manual states to torque the pivot bolt (#3) to 2.5 to 3.3 lb-ft, okay. How do you tighten the locknut (#4) to 79.5 to 94 lb-ft without adding more torque onto the pivot bolt? This is more of a procedural question, the difficulty lies in that the locknut is recessed and accessible only with a socket which makes it hard to hold the pivot bolt with the allen wrench.

Looking for some solutions, Thanks in advance.

Bearings wear into races; therefore replace them as an assembly. Measure the race depth before removing the race.

You can get a cheap digitial caliper off of ebay to do your measuring.

A long brass punch from the opposite side can remove races..you have to tappy tap a little on one side, then switch the punch location to 180 degree opposite as to not cock the race.

Installing a race, find a socket around the same size or go to the hardware store and get a section of pipe. Really should use a race installer, but you can use pipe or a socket if you take your time and drive it in straight!

Sears might even have the lisle tools to do this job correctly at a not-to-costly of an investment price. A man can never have enough tools.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
      A long brass punch from the opposite side can remove races..you have to tappy tap a little on one side, then switch the punch location to 180 degree opposite as to not cock the race.
      I've done this on my 650 Shaft. You cannot get behind the shells to remove them.
      The way I did it was with a Dremel cutter. I sliced through the shell then they came out easily.
      I used off the shelf bearings without the rubber seal as the Suzuki ones were mega expensive.
      I used a socket to seat the new shells.
      Last edited by waltfen; 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM. Reason: additional info
      GS1000G

Comment

bah you are making this WAY to complicated guys...

on the 650... take the little chrome cap covers off....

undo the big hex key bolt on each side and lift the front of the swingarm up, you cant pull the bearings out through the main frame the hole is 2 small, and they just come out by hand....

put new ones in easy peasy done, took me all of 5 minutes... (thats what she said)

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
          bah you are making this WAY to complicated guys...

on the 650... take the little chrome cap covers off....

undo the big hex key bolt on each side and lift the front of the swingarm up, you cant pull the bearings out through the main frame the hole is 2 small, and they just come out by hand....

put new ones in easy peasy done, took me all of 5 minutes... (thats what she said)
          So you don't change the races?
          GS1000G

Comment

It is easier if you remove the swingarm. The bearing races need to be changed along with the bearings. Dremel is your best bet, or a welder if available to get the old race out. When you reassemble it their will be a small gap on both sides of the swingarm. Use the big adjusters to adjust the swing arm position so the frame/swingarm gap is the same side to side. Then adj preload & tighten lock nuts

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
              So you don't change the races?
              I didn't bother to, havn't had any problems...

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
                I've done this on my 650 Shaft. You cannot get behind the shells to remove them.
                The way I did it was with a Dremel cutter. I sliced through the shell then they came out easily.
                I used off the shelf bearings without the rubber seal as the Suzuki ones were mega expensive.
                I used a socket to seat the new shells.
                Thanks for the advice, may give this a go. I was sure someone has done this. I went with stock bearings since I couldn't readily find the ones with the rubber seals, stock were roughly $30 a piece.

I wasn't sure that you could get behind them, it has been a couple years since I had the swingarm off of this bike. I couldn't remember what the races area looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
                  I didn't bother to, havn't had any problems...
                  This is what was suggested in past posts, to simply reuse races. This was another reason I went with the stock bearings, hopefully they would fit the races correctly in case I couldn't figure out how to remove them.

I don't think the swingarm bearings wear into the races as badly as the steering bearings, I didn't see any visible wear in the races when I had them apart last. It was just that the bearings were rusting.

Skid, How many miles do you have on this bike?

Comment

I've just remembered, I only changed the shells because I was having the swingarm powder coated. To be honest if I was just changing bearings i wouldn't have changed the shells (unless they looked dodgy).

You are right about the rubber sealed bearings. I looked all over and only Suzuki supplied them at £39 or $61 in the UK - EACH.
                    I opted to use off the shelf plain bearings at 10% of that price!
                    GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                      This is what was suggested in past posts, to simply reuse races. This was another reason I went with the stock bearings, hopefully they would fit the races correctly in case I couldn't figure out how to remove them.

I don't think the swingarm bearings wear into the races as badly as the steering bearings, I didn't see any visible wear in the races when I had them apart last. It was just that the bearings were rusting.

Skid, How many miles do you have on this bike?

ahhh mines got 48,000 k

so about 30,000 miles?

Comment

When I get to tearing into this, I will snap a few photos and document how I make out. So I will revive this thread later.

Comment

Working...
                        X