Got it running!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it running!!!!

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I got the 77 gs550 running on all four. Whoever installed the Dyna got the coils hooked up in reverse. That thing was never going to start! Once I got reversed the wiring, put a little gas into the cylinders the thing roared to life. Took it for a quick test drive and it picks up and revs pretty well. Only problem is the idle speed is wayyy to high, around 2500 rpm's. Before I start digging into the manual maybe someone can tell me if there is a quick and easy idle adjustment, or could I have the throttle cables too tight? It looks like the cables aren't the problem though.

Congrats. There should be an idle speed set screw (knurled knob) between carbs 2 and 3 - unless that's totally different on VM models. By spec there should be about 1mm of slack in the throttle cable.

You may also be leaking air in there. Definitely would be a good idea to double-check for leaks and still rebuild those carbs, plus install new intake boot o-rings.

Comment

I agree. It idles great now after turning the adjustment knob. However, although it accelerates 100% better now that all 4 cylinders are running, it still accelerates pretty choppily, like it's still not getting all of the fuel it needs. I've got the carb o rings and dip, so I might as well go through them when I get the time.

Comment

Great news, I like to hear success stories !!

Is the rest of the bike stock ? The airbox and the rubber boots need to be sealed well.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
          Congrats. There should be an idle speed set screw (knurled knob) between carbs 2 and 3 - unless that's totally different on VM models.
          Just for reference the Idle Speed Set Screw on the 550s is between carbs 3 & 4.

Comment

Working...
          X