Stator and Crank seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator and Crank seal replacement

The stator part I'm sure is pretty straight forward. Mine went out right at the end of summer last year, just a couple months after finally getting the bike on the road, so out of frustration, I just stabilized the fuel and parked it for winter. We've now had a few nice days here lately and it has gotten me ready to get a jump start on spring, and need to get a stator ordered up for it. Will probably go electrosport, as they seem to come with high regards, and seem reasonably priced as well. But before sticking the new stator on it, I want to replace the leaky crank seals, as I feel they probably had a lot to do with my stator going belly up. Can the seal be replaced from "outside" the engine, or do you have to pull and split it? Is there any good aftermarket sources for seals, or should I just go OE?

TIA

Just to clarify, you think the stator went bad because it was sitting in engine oil?

Comment

Your stator runs in oil so that is NOT an issue. Is the bike leaking oil somewhere? Ray.

Comment

I was the under the impression that the stator cover area should be dry? Apparently I am incorrect. I would be glad if I am, because that will save me the headache. It does leak oil out of the stator cover on the frame rail, and consequently onto the ground. I guess I would just need to replace the gasket, which I have a brand new one left over from the gasket set I bought when rebuilding the head. The stator then just went bad because it is the OE GS stator, and they all suck.

Comment

Originally posted by efjay_62 View Post
          I was the under the impression that the stator cover area should be dry? Apparently I am incorrect. I would be glad if I am, because that will save me the headache. It does leak oil out of the stator cover on the frame rail, and consequently onto the ground. I guess I would just need to replace the gasket, which I have a brand new one left over from the gasket set I bought when rebuilding the head. The stator then just went bad because it is the OE GS stator, and they all suck.
          When you pulled the stator cover off a fair bit of oil should have glooped out (unless you drained the oil first). The stator does indeed sit in an oil bath. If there was no oil in there that could have been the cause of the stator frying.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            When you pulled the stator cover off a fair bit of oil should have glooped out (unless you drained the oil first). The stator does indeed sit in an oil bath. If there was no oil in there that could have been the cause of the stator frying.
            No there was a fair amount of oil there. Puked all over the floor, had to drop an oil pad on it. Guess I just need to get a stator, and replace the stator cover gasket when I put it back together. Electrosports website said the stator for my bike is currently unavailable. I emailed them to see if they were still making it, or just out of stock or what the deal is.

Comment

Try searching for "stator rewire" on the board. Could save a fair chunk of change...

Comment

Before going to a lot of trouble tracing an oil leak? Replace the O ring on the starter, it causes a lot of mystery oil leaks. The starter cavity drains thru a hole in the engine out thru the bottom. Can make the bottom of the engine wet with oil..

Comment

Electrosports website said the stator for my bike is currently unavailable.
                  Ricks motorsports also makes stators that are high quality, I have one on my bike.

Aftermarket Motorsport Electrics parts for motorcycles, dirtbikes, atvs, motosport vehicles manufactured and distributed by Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Comment

Hi,

A lot of the '79 model year bikes used 12 pole stators. In 1980 the stators were changed to 18 pole parts. It's possible to fit an 18 pole stator on your bike, but you would also need the corresponding rotor with the proper number of magnets. IOW, source a 1980 or later rotor part from a bike that would fit yours. Then you can order an 18 pole stator. The 12 pole stators are not nearly as common in the aftermarket.

You also have to option of rewinding your own stator. I've collected a little information here: Stator Rewinding

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

it doesnt sound like many, if any, have had success rewinding their own stators. Am i wrong with most of the post i've read?
                      1979 GS850G
                      2004 SV650N track bike
                      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I've never attempted it, but I don't think I have the patience to rewind my stator. I would probably just end up creating new, very politically incorrect words, and breaking something. Just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                          Ricks motorsports also makes stators that are high quality, I have one on my bike.

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
                          I did come across the ricks stators yesterday while searching the web. Good to know they also are worthy. I'm still learning this motorcycle stuff, after all.

Comment

the 12 pole stators don't fail that often. Have you checked it yet??

Comment

I checked it at the end of last year, when my battery started going dead. Followed the diagnostic instructions off of the electosport site.

Comment

Working...
                              X