hard shifting from first to second.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard shifting from first to second.

that pretty much describes my problem...

lately its been hard as hell to shift from first into second (or neutral for that matter) i gotta pull up super hard and it seems like it just doesnt wanna go. all other gears are fine. i looked at the shaft of the shifter and its right on and pretty solid. any ideas why its just the 1-2 shift that is hard? i read bout bad oil. but i just changed the oil, actually changed it twice in the last 2 weeks. some thing loose inside?

????

Re: hard shifting from first to second.

I trailered my 1150 home when I got it and the first thing I did was to change the oil and filter. I found about a quart + of gas in the crankcase oil. I replaced the petcock. On my initial test ride, I noted that the clutch slipped badly with anything more than about 1/2 throttle and it was impossible to find neutral.
    It shifted so hard from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st that I went right past (and couldnt feel) the neutral indent. The only way to get it into neutral was to shut it off and rock it back and forth. Under this condition, it shifted easily and finding the neutral indent was a piece of cake. I replaced the clutch cable and adjusted the clutch. No improvement. The clutch was still slipping badly, so I changed the oil again. No improvement there either.
    I took a look at the clutch linings and they appeared to be in nearly new condition. I assumed the gas had contaminated the linings and was the cause of the slippage. (I found nothing wrong with the clutch mechanism, etc) I replaced the clutch linings. My clutch no longer slips with any amount of throttle and guess what, the transmission now shifts like butter from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st and I can clearly feel the neutral indent. Problem solved. The part I dont really understand is that if a clutch is slipping in the first place, why would increasing the friction, make it shift smoother? Maybe because of the gas contamination, the plates were sticking.....I dont know, If you have found a healthy amount of gas in your crankcase oil at times, this could the your cause also.

Earl

Originally posted by Scott81GS
    that pretty much describes my problem...

lately its been hard as hell to shift from first into second (or neutral for that matter) i gotta pull up super hard and it seems like it just doesnt wanna go. all other gears are fine. i looked at the shaft of the shifter and its right on and pretty solid. any ideas why its just the 1-2 shift that is hard? i read bout bad oil. but i just changed the oil, actually changed it twice in the last 2 weeks. some thing loose inside?

????
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Did you try adjusting the clutch cable?

Comment

hey, thanks for all the info.. i had just replaced the clutch cable but i'll try and take a look at it again, maybe i read something wrong but i believe it acted that way before and after i replaced the cable. but i'll check..

thanks!

Comment

after you replace the clutch cable you need to do the clutch actuator adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
            after you replace the clutch cable you need to do the clutch actuator adjustment.
            mine has same problem sometimes too, causes me to miss second from first shift and ends up in nuetral soemtimes, i also replaced my clutch cable and did the adjustments at clutch rod and at engine case cvoer and at clutch lever and its same thing as before cable , so i wanna know same answer to same problem as above also

thanks
            !

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

thanks for the tip, i'll add that to the list of things to check.

Comment

problem solved.... i misread the manual when adjusting the clutch cable. im stupid. :P jk

Comment

Comment

Greenfield? Isn't that a suburb of Germantown? I've been having similar problems lately. I've been getting positive results by keeping the the oil level FULL. If it's anywhere below the FULL mark,I'm missing the 1-2 shifts. It acts like an adjustment problem but it just cravin' 20/50. That's my 2 cents worth. I grew up in Germantown. Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                    X