My Lockhart lowers purely cosmetic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Lockhart lowers purely cosmetic?

I have the lockhart lower fairings on my 1100ESD. Do these play a large role in aerodynamics, blocking wind on legs, cooling engine and components? Or are they mainly something that's cosmetic?

Thanks,
    Nick

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
    I have the lockhart lower fairings on my 1100ESD. Do these play a large role in aerodynamics, blocking wind on legs, cooling engine and components? Or are they mainly something that's cosmetic?

Thanks,
    Nick
    hi Nick, nice bolide. Yours is identical to my model, colours everything, all except the fairing there. But I've always known mine as an sd. What makes an esd? the fairing? or is the motor nicer and such?

w.r.t. leg fairings and temp etc the factor to note is wind flow as yr riding. As with muffs, hotgrips, plugin hotties, yr clothing, and all fairing options etc, the biggest factor in temperature of you and the lovely missile there is just halting the air flow.

regards

Comment

Nick, at low speeds they will actually make the engine run HOTTER due to holding heat closer to the motor. I'll bet they put a lot of heat out on your legs too, huh? Let me know if you ever decide to sell them as I want a set for the ES I am restoring & have always liked the look of them. I don't sit in traffic so the heat isn't an issue for me. Your bike sure is pretty! Let me know if you ever decide to hot rod the motor any. You need more power to go with those 33s! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Your neighbor has a sweet Boat.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Not as sweet as mine!!!

Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Not sure on the aero's but it sure looks nice, that blue and white ES has to be one of my faves.

Comment

Cool boat Nick! I could barefoot behind that! I'll bet it has a pretty flat wake, huh? Ray.

Comment

Yeah it does. It scoots along pretty good - Just a bit under 80mph. If I put a taller pitch prop on it I think I'll be able to get a bit more out of it too. Right now The seats are getting redone and we're getting ready to put a new floor in. I'm going to epoxy the plywood tomorrow.

(I can hi-jack my own thread right?? )

Here's a little video if it:

1989 Hydrostream Venus XT going 65-70. Notice the chine walk at the end. 200hp Johnson GT 200.

:P

Comment

Man pics like this just make me want summer to get here sooner. The wife and I did our boat in 07'. All the new plywood got a good few coats of epoxy thinned down with acetone to help it soak deep into the wood, and it has held up very well.

Very nice boat.

As for the fairings they do help keep the wind off, and bugs out of teeth. lol

I see a bike like this and it makes me see the birth of where todays bikes originated. As some may put it, that's a "friggin sweet bike."
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Where are the mast, spars, and sails?
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                      Where are the mast, spars, and sails?
                      Well, I see a short, chrome mast just behind the pilot, but there's not much sail you can hang from that.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a very sharp ES! Did you Corbin-ize the stock seat ?
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                        X