Snapped the pull throttle cable today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped the pull throttle cable today

Well, I was out on a 150 mile ride, when, 35 miles from home, I snapped the pull throttle cable. All I can say is I'm glad Suzuki used a push-pull system because I was able to route the push cable over to the pull side and ride back home with a reversed throttle (I had to roll forward to accelerate) So now tomorrow I'm riding up to Dennis Kirk to get a new pull cable, 11.99. Any suggestions or tips on how to change out the cable? My Clymers disappeared in my last move, probably in storage.

cable

switch it at the handle bar end then you will be rolling back to get the gas. I think thay did it that way so you could have a spair. i snaped the pull cable and swaped them around on the road. been running with one cable ever since.
    thay are grate to have as a spair when going on long trips never know when that second cable is going to come in handy.
    at the price you can get cables i would change them both. that way you would have a spair ready. here thay want twice the price for one.

Comment

Boy can I appreciate the value of a 2 cable system. Years ago I had a throttle cable break at the handlebar on my H2 (kawasaki 750 triple 2-stroke; aka "the widowmaker"). There was about 2 inches of cable exposed and since I was about 15 miles from home I decided to try to control the throttle by pulling on the exposed cable wire. What a ride - if I pulled too hard the bike would take off leaving me trying to hang on with my left hand and trying not to pull harder on the cable as I was thrown back. The first two thirds of the return trip basically consisted of my front wheel repeatedly leaping into the air then slamming down hard as I cut the throttle completely.

God, I miss my H2. Really.

Jeff

Comment

One thing I would recommend is that at $12 you change both cables at the same time. Good idea to check and lube your clutch cable at the same time.

Comment

Miss mine too. :-) I think my 1150E is quicker though. eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles

God, I miss my H2. Really.

Jeff
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The first two thirds of the return trip basically consisted of my front wheel repeatedly leaping into the air then slamming down hard as I cut the throttle completely
            Sorry....as frustrating (and scary) as it must've been, I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this.

Cragar 8)

Comment

Working...
            X