'80 to '79 550 parts swapability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 to '79 550 parts swapability

So I just picked up a 1980 parts bike, and was curious as to what bits are interchangeable with my '79 (especially the later style ignition)...
    The engine isn't frozen, but doesnt exactly feel like it's got a whole ton of compression. Missing the airbox, seat, gauges, and plenty of other things, but most of it's there. Seeing as there's not kick starter, can I just jump a battery to the starter to check for compression?

I swapped my points for the electronic system..

mine is an 80, but UK on points, I used canadian pickups, advance unit, and wiring, and picked up an ignitor off ebay... works perfectly.

You could jump a battery to the starter, but bear in mind, whatever the compression is, it will go up when it has been run properly.

John

Comment

And don't forget to hold the throttle wide open to let enough air in.

Comment

I know this a bit off topic, but as we are all 550 owners you might find these pics interesting and useful for reference as this is a very original bike in as new condition.

Comment

Nice pics Don.. I have seen a couple of these on the web..

This is maybe a European or Australian spec 1980 GS550ET, either way, it's currently in Australia with the Queensland plate.
          They only made this style in 1980, and is exactly the same as the one I have, although mine is in Black..
          I have been looking for some high quality pics of this model for a while, as it will help with the full restoration that it is currently undergoing.
          I am using many NOS parts sourced globally... you could say no expense spared, probably over $1600 so far.. but for me, it's not about the money.. I used to have one in 1981, so it's more about rekindling my youth.

John

Comment

Well said John. Hope to see it when you are finished.

Yes it is the Australian model.

Comment

Working...
            X