450L front shocks in 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450L front shocks in 1980

ok i assume my front shocks are hydraulic oil filled or whatever because i see no air valve fittings or anything unless im not looking where they would be,
    no idea, but anyways they are way too soft compress way to easily,

what can i do ? what should i do ?

i took care of the rears by adjusting one notch firmer, big and great difference !

thanks

Re: 450L front shocks in 1980

Your front fork tubes have springs and oil in there. They may also be air assisted. At least my '84 450L's are. If there is an air valve, it'll be hiding under a large rubber cap right on the top of the fork tube. The rubber cap just pulls off, and voila! there it is. Be VERY VERY careful about putting air in here! only about 7-10 psi should do it and NEVER with a compressor. use a bicyle hand pump only.

If this doesn't help matters once the right amount of air is in there, then next things on the list are:
    1. change the fork oil - its probably too old - a 10 or 15 weight fork oil should do. I believe stock was 50/50 ATF and 5weight oil. Some would argue this this mixture is too thin
    2. check the fork springs themselves, they have sacked out over the past 20 years or so.

Hope this helps...Sam

Originally posted by fast68
    ok i assume my front shocks are hydraulic oil filled or whatever because i see no air valve fittings or anything unless im not looking where they would be,
    no idea, but anyways they are way too soft compress way to easily,

what can i do ? what should i do ?

i took care of the rears by adjusting one notch firmer, big and great difference !

thanks

Comment

the earlier 450l doesnt have air valves that I am aware of.

it is time for a tear down

Comment

Originally posted by kyle
        the earlier 450l doesnt have air valves that I am aware of.

it is time for a tear down
        that sucks.

i have no idea now to do that and i doubt will ever be able to, unlessits easier than it looks. ?

Comment

Working...
        X