1978 GS 750 Sidewinder Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 750 Sidewinder Exhaust

Can anyone tell me if there is a sidewinder exhaust that is made for a 78 gs750? I bought one a while back from a 1000 or 1100(don't remember exactly) that was supposed to fit a 750 as well. Anyways, it bolts up to my bike but there is not enough clearance between the headpipes and the front tire. With the way the pipe fits mine, I don't see how it could be made with enough clearance.

If anyone has pictures that would be great.

Also, what years and engine sizes are compatible with my bike? This would provide more options when looking around. I'm not concerned with mouning brackets and such; I can make/modify those as needed.

Can't help you with your question, but I have to ask ... are you sure you want a sidewinder?

They are designed for drag racing and go out the right side instead of under the bike (hence the name).
    For street use, you will have a hard time negotiating right-hand corners.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

In the search for an exhuast for my 77 I found quite a few...but yeah they dont have a baffle...orient express racing I believe has them also i come across them on ebay all the time...

We make your motorcycle go fast! Orient Express high performance motorcycle parts since 1973! for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Aprilia, BMW, Ducati and Harley Davidson motorcycles and ATV's,

If you want something with a baffle dennis kirk has the megaphone classic pipe from V&H decent price as well.

John

Comment

I ride a GS1000 with a side winder on the street.
        I have to be careful when i make right turns but the big bonus is that you don't need to watch the bike ground clearance.
        I don't have clearing issues with my wheel because I have a 17in wheel. (even when breaking hard, nothing touches)

For your 750 I would try to fit a set of forks with a front leading axel. (ex. GS L model) or if your bike has mag wheels, you can fit an 18in wheel from a GS400.

Marc

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
          For your 750 I would try to fit a set of forks with a front leading axel. (ex. GS L model) or if your bike has mag wheels, you can fit an 18in wheel from a GS400.
          True, that will move the wheel forward, but that will also upset your steering geometry.
          It will reduce trail by a fair amount, which can make the bike rather twitchy.
          Personally, I would look for another method.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The original sidewinders were designed to be used on dragbikes with raked frames. There are ways to make them work without raking. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you want some help. I also have a brand new set of RC Engineering 70 mm pistons for an 8 valve 750 if anyone is interested. I think they make an 870? out of a 750. Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. However, I don't want to get into changing parts. I want to keep those items stock on the bike, and I would like to do the exhaust at a reasonable price.

I would actually prefer to do the exhaust similar to the attached picture rather than the 4-1 on the side like most of the sidewinders. (Not sure whose bike this is, so I hope it is not a problem posting the picture.) However, I don't have the equipment to build it as so. Either way I will probably eliminate the megaphone and use a straight pipe with a baffle.

Comment

My next exhaust will be a spyder type too.I hope.
                Marc
                https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by tukn20s View Post
                  I would actually prefer to do the exhaust similar to the attached picture rather than the 4-1 on the side like most of the sidewinders.
                  That is a classic example of what I know as a "sidewinder".

That thing hangs out so far on the right side, you will not be able to lean to make right-hand corners.
                  The reason it is set up that way is to be able to lower the drag bike to lower the center of gravity.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    That is a classic example of what I know as a "sidewinder".

That thing hangs out so far on the right side, you will not be able to lean to make right-hand corners.
                    The reason it is set up that way is to be able to lower the drag bike to lower the center of gravity.

I will be modifying the pipe on the side with the hopes of making it practical for street use.

Comment

Good luck, but it would be far easier to just find a MAC, Kerker or other pipe that is already routed where you want.

I know it takes all the "fun" out of the project, but at some point, reality will set in.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Good luck, but it would be far easier to just find a MAC, Kerker or other pipe that is already routed where you want.

I know it takes all the "fun" out of the project, but at some point, reality will set in.

I am trying to find one that is routed where I want. I don't really have the tools to make one that is anything more than basic. Most of what I see from those companies are routed underneath the bike. This is not what I am looking for.

Comment

The pipe in the picture of the Champage 82 1100 is considered a Pro Stock type pipe & I have 4 or 5 of them. If you are interested, call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                          X